Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Waxing Philosophic

Not sure what I want to write about this morning.  I have a couple of things I could wax philosophic about, I guess...  Here's one...

I've had a lot of writer friends over the past 20 years.  I've retained very few of them.  In fact, I could probably count my current writer friends all off with both hands.  I lost a lot of people in my friends list in 2016 when it was clear our philosophies of life didn't mesh well.  I lost more in 2020 for the same reason.  And here we are again in 2024, and the few of differing philosophies that I had still held onto for one reason or another, are making it known they should probably be shunted off where the others went.  :shrug:  I'd probably have more sales if I could stomach associating with all of these people, but I don't have that kind of intestinal fortitude.  

The most recent one I lost was a gal I once considered a good friend - not Silver, Deb, Jenn, and Janet good friend level, but good nonetheless.  I loved her writing and I thought she was basically a good person with some mildly wrongheaded ideas.  I was wrong.  I mean, she's probably still basically a good person, but her mildly wrongheaded ideas have grown like a cancer and the result isn't pretty.  :sadface:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.  I am entitled to not have to allow those opinions into my life and those people into my inner circle.  I've heard them all before and I am so over entertaining differing opinions searching for their merit.  :shrug:  If that makes me closed-minded, then I'm okay with that.  At a certain point in life, I figured out my opinions were no longer open for business.  They are what they are.  I also figured out that most other people are the same way, so why bother debating things?  I'm not going to change my opinion and neither are they, which makes debate just a whole lot of wasted time, effort, and breath.  

So, with a mournful farewell, I unfriended another writer today.  She'll never know.  Hell, she probably unfollowed me years ago because that was the last time she liked my posts or commented.  No loss for her.  No loss for me.  The mourning comes from my remembrances of our friendship which died years ago.  =o(


Ju-Lo-Wri-Mo stats
Starting word count: 15018
Ending word count: 15717
New words: 699

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. Totally get where you are. I try very hard to maintain the ideal of free speech. People are allowed their opinions and are allowed to voice said opinions not matter how much Kyool-Aide they've swallowed. I am allowed to scroll past their stupidity. They do NOT have the right to force their ideas on me. That's where I draw the line and hit the unfollow button. And I've done that recently.

    Hang in there. We have "our people" out there. It's just a matter of finding them. 🤗

    ReplyDelete