Saturday, April 25, 2020

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 04/25/20

Hello again.  It was a pretty good reading week here, even if I did have a couple DNFs.

I also picked up a few new ebooks, including the fourth book in a YA paranormal series I'd loved but was too cheap to buy the 4th book.  When I saw it was free, I was all like 'woohoo and squee'.  The other new ebooks were a future thriller, a paranormal, and a paranormal mystery.  Still no new hardcopies.  :heavy sigh:  Thank goodness for ebooks and my large collection of hardcopies.

Books read:

 39) The Judas Cypher by Greg Dragon (4/24/20) - Hard-boiled Crime/Dystopian*# - 5 stars.  New to me and underappreciated.  Free off the Book Adrenaline newsletter.
Review: "Action packed throwback to the old hard-boiled crime novels but set in the later part of this century. A little crime, a little dystopian, a lot thrilling. Yay!"

38) Walking Sam by Deanna Lynn Sletten (4/22/20) - Romance*# - 5 stars.  New to me and underappreciated as far as reviews go.  Free off the Robin Reads newsletter.
Review: " Nice little romance, sweet and fun with a little sad and a good happy-ever-after."

37) Blood Money by Chris Underwood (4/18/20) - Urban Fantasy*# - 5 stars.  New to me and underappreciated as far as reviews go.  Free off the Reading Deals newsletter.
Review: "Wow. That was super fun. I loved the premise and the characters and the story. I especially loved Hider. More of this series will definitely be going on my 'to buy' list."

36) The Mummy (or Ramses the Damned) by Anne Rice (4/18/20) - Paranormal Romance - 5 stars.  I've owned this for years and I've read it bunches of times before, just not recently.
Review: "It's been years since I read this, and yep, I still think it's the best thing Rice ever wrote."
Note:  I'm not saying that lightly.  I read some of her vampire books* and thoroughly enjoyed them, but this was way better.   Kind of a chicken soup book for me, it's that good.

DNF:

4/20/20 - Western - Meh.  Once again, not everything needs to be described in exacting detail.  I got bored slogging through the descriptions of his horse, it's tack, and the cattle car they were standing in, and moved on.

4/18/20 - Mystery.  I should've known better than to snag a 5th book in a previously unread series.  Maybe if I'd read the others, this one wouldn't have been so irritating.

Currently reading... I finished that last book right before bed last night, so I haven't had time to pick up another read.

What was on your reading list last week?

*Queen of the Damned was the best of those, in my opinion.  Still, second to this one.

1 comment:

  1. This was a VERY slow week for me. Only listened to two books, and started a third. I'm still 12 books ahead of schedule so it's all good.

    73 - A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram #1), Darynda Jones. 4 star, not unknown, not underappreciated. Jones is a favorite author and this is her new series. It's...a little wacky, has some suspense, a touch of magic realism, and hope for a romance. Police detective returns to her small and VERY odd hometown when she wins the sheriff's election, that she didn't know she'd entered. Long story. I enjoyed it but will wait on the next book (probably in a year 🤔* ) before I decide to buy and put on the keeper shelf. From the library.

    74 - Badger to the Bone (Honey Badgers #3), Shelley Laurenston, 4 stars, another fave author. This one is funny--but not has hilarious as some of her books. Still...bears. Paranormal romantic comedy...except the romance wasn't fully realized and the main couple seemed almost like a side story. I was a bit disappointed but will wait to see where this spin-off series go. I really wanted to give it 3 stars but settled on 3.5 rounded up to 4 because...bears.

    I'm currently back into my JD Robb In Death/Eve Dallas relisten, with #11, Witness in Death. Waiting on a few new books to either drop from the library wait list or my pre-orders at the 'Zon.

    Happy reading!

    *I have absolutely no right to complain about how long it takes for the next book in a series to drop. For the past few years, I've TOTALLY disappointed my readers, but there ya go. I'm a reader too.

    ReplyDelete