Thursday, January 21, 2021

Thursday This n That

There's an old quote I've been thinking about lately that goes 'It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.'  Unfortunately, the quote is attributed to a communist (which I didn't know until I researched it just now... gah).  Not sure what BS she was peddling when she said it, because communism makes more people live on their knees than just about any other political system, but the words themselves are meaningful.

I saw something posted this morning that detailed where exactly we're at right now, so we can look back this time next year.  The only data point I remember is gas price.  It said $1.95 a gallon.  Yesterday, gas here was $2.08 where I usually get gas and $2.22 at the place where I buy feed.  (They're always more expensive because it's all straight gas - no ethanol.)  My friend at the feed store said 'It's starting.'  Remember where we're at right now.  This is as good as it's going to get.  

How soon the masses forget $4 a gallon gas under the current ruling party.  We'll see it again shortly.

By the way, gas with ethanol is only cheaper because of government subsidies.  You're still paying for it - just with your taxes instead of your cash.

Someone said something rather poignant when I was standing around talking with friends about things and we got around to the political climate.  "I don't really pay attention to all that stuff."  I'm sure she's not alone.  And that's why we are where we are today.  People don't pay attention until they're in line to load up the cattle cars.

The other day, Mom was telling me a story about the squirrels and the hawks in her apartment complex.  One day, several squirrels were running around the green space outside her apartment when a hawk landed nearby.  Initially they scattered, but soon they came right back to where they were.  Oblivious.  With the hawk still standing there.  We figure the hawk was either too young to know what to do or it wasn't very hungry.  Everything's fine until the hawk that's watching you decides to flex its claws.

This is just me, talking.  Will I still be allowed to talk four years from now?  We'll see.  

1 comment:

  1. Talk while you can.

    I see so many parallels that "they" ignore and/or accuse "others" of doing.

    Apparently, Justice Sotomayor mispronounced the first name of the new VP when swearing her in. I wouldn't know for sure because I didn't bother watching. Had it been a conservative justice, the talking heads would be calling him/her a racist but they just ignored it. I have many thoughts about the new VP that shall remain in my head. Moving on.

    You know where I stand on current events from my meme on FB. LG saved the meme/post you mentioned and he plans on revisiting that info in a year. Glad I already had a full tank and hardly ever go anywhere anyways these days.

    Had a long conversation with a crow this morning. He wasn't in sight and I was standing in the driveway like a doofus cawing back and forth. I hope they come by for breakfast before the starlings eat it all. FYI, that was far more entertaining and enlightening than watching the news today. (Of course, I'm avoiding all semblance of news these days not because I don't care but for self-preservation. My BP is high enough as it is.)

    I need a series of Calgon moments so I can wrap my head around new words for the WIP but I keep thinking about my dystopian trilogy that needs the 3rd novella written, which I haven't figured out yet. Another day and time. I need to get the Penumbra book written. What few fans that series has have been waiting too many years.

    Okay. Thanks for the talk. It was good. LOL Hang in there! I'll do the same.

    ReplyDelete