Thursday, December 10, 2020

Thursday This n That

Yesterday I made turkey stew and drop biscuits.  Hubs was happy.

In case you're not familiar with drop biscuits, they are what they sound like - you drop heaping spoonfuls of biscuit dough onto the baking sheet and throw it in the oven.  Drop biscuits are for when you're too lazy to make rolled biscuits.  I used the same recipe minus the whole flouring the counter and rolling the dough out and folding it and rolling it and folding it and rolling it.  Less work and less mess.  Have to note, though, that they take less time in the oven.  Last night's batch was a little overly browned.

I find making rolled anything is a huge pain in the buns.  Which is why I bought cinnamon rolls yesterday.  I have had a huge craving for cinnamon rolls and I've looked at numerous recipes for same.  But every time I think about making them, I think about all the rolling and mess involved and then don't make them.

Ahem, my pizza does not require rolling and I knead the dough right in the bowl.  Less mess. I take the risen dough and slap it onto the middle of the pizza pan and then gently coax the dough to the edges of the pan while constantly turning the pan.  :shrug:  It works for me.

The story I posted a snippet of yesterday is rolling along.  1400+ new words last night.  Like I said, it's noir and it's kind of a throw back to Spillane and his contemporaries.   

I mailed my Christmas cards out yesterday.  The final count, if I remember right, was 27.  If you got one last year and don't get one this year, blame the USPS.  They're off to MI, FL, CO, CA, OK, NM, and one to Nova Scotia.  (:waves at my lone Canadian friend:  You probably won't see it until after Christmas, but that's how things go for us.)

While doing cards, I turned on Christmas music for the first time this year.  Still haven't put up the tree.  Maybe today.

Apropos of nothing, I'm up to 4.6 million 'dollars' in play money poker.  Considering I only play at the table where the most I can buy in for is 20K, I think that's pretty sparky.

Okay, I've run myself out of things to yat at you about.  What's on your mind today?


 

2 comments:

  1. My roof was repaired on Tuesday, and my leaky outdoor faucet was replaced yesterday. That one I tried to do myself, but ran into more problems than I could handle. Thank goodness for my brother-in-law!

    Today is dad-sitting day. My brain is fried enough I'm looking forward to watching cartoons.

    I bought a box of GF drop biscuit dough. Now I just need to put together the gumption to make them. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Thursday, isn't it? Hrmm...

    I did some Christmas shopping this week. Got most of LG's presents, some new gift bags, and some stocking stuffers. Waiting on a list from the kids.

    I should do Christmas cards. Then I'd know how many Christmas stamps I need, but I'm putting off doing them because I need to buy Christmas stamps. �� (this is my shifty-eyed look)

    Contemplating doing a "free" Christmas short. I have it narrowed down to two themes. One gets very convoluted in a hurry and may take more time so probably next year. The other has the opening lines but I'm not sure how to make it "Christmassy" or where to set it. Conundrums.

    The yard guys finished up trimming trees and cutting up the fallen limbs. They also hauled off everything. We have the only "clean" yard in the neighborhood.

    Temps close to 70 today. I need to get the porch garland done and the candy-cane lights that line the walkway that curves from the front porch around to the driveway. Maybe I can plot out the Christmas story while I do it.

    Not much else going on. Chance of snow--just a trace--this weekend so I totally need to get the outside stuff done. Enjoy your day! ��

    ReplyDelete