Sunday, December 20, 2020

Sunday Update - Week 51

One more full week of 2020 to go.  Either I screwed up the count this year or this horrible year actually has 53 weeks.  I wouldn't surprised either way.

Writing went really well for the first couple days of the week.  Then I hit a spot where I wasn't sure what I was doing was any good and crashed.  I ended up deleting some words which I though helped because I wrote a lot the next couple days and then the 'this is crap' hit and I crashed again.  As long as I don't think about it, I can write.  Once I start thinking about it, it falls apart.  Admitting the problem is half the battle, right?

I'm thinking about having a sale this week.  Not sure what it'll be for or whether I'll even have it at all.  I'd like to finish this year with a bang, even if it is muffled.  

It was an okay reading week.  I read a few really good books, including one I finished yesterday that'll be in next week's wrap-up.

In baking news, I made a batch of my Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookies - the ones with oats and peanut butter.  There are like two left.  

The dumping of snow we got last Sunday/Monday is almost totally gone now.  The only spots left are where Hubs shoveled and made piles here and there.  I managed to get out to the store on Tuesday and got plenty of corn for the deer, which is good because one day there we had 33 stop by for breakfast and another day we had like 20+.  Now that the snow has melted off and they can forage again, they shouldn't be bunching up like that anymore.  :fingers crossed:  We really can't feed a herd that large every day or I'll be spending all my time running back and forth to the feed store.  

Yesterday, I went into the woods to blow off stress.  I started by working on sawing up a fallen tree.  It took some time, but I got the top 3-4' off and onto the wood pile.  Then Hubs came down and we worked on putting leaves around the wood pile to see if Pierre the skunk is hanging out in there.  Today, we'll go out and if the leaves are moved, we'll know he's still using the pile as his den.  

The second pile farther down the hill has signs that other critters are going in and out under it in four different spots - one with dirt scattered like something is making a burrow.  No stink, though, so whatever is habitating there isn't Pierre.  I'd like to think bunnies and maybe a ground hog.

Looking out the back window yesterday, I noticed one of the cedars just off the yard had tilted slightly.  When I checked it out, you can see where the base of it cracked.  We assume the weight of the snow pulled it sideways sufficiently to snap one of the anchor roots.  The tree seems to be okay, even with the slight tilt.  We'll see how it fares over the summer and whether it turns brown.  =o(

I also spent some time this week attempting to save several little 7-10' cedars.  The weight of the snow had pulled them all over so their tops were laying on the ground.  Once we got the snow off, they came back so they're standing mostly straight now.  Stupid heavy wet snow.

Well, that's about it for me.  Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom.  Here's hoping for a good week for us all and a bunch of Happy Holidays this week - including a Merry Christmas.  :hugs:

How's your week go?


2 comments:

  1. The last "week" of December ends on a Thursday. And then it's 2021. Not looking any better than 2020 but we'll see.

    STOP THINKING AND JUST WRITE THE G@{%D@#} book! Everything I've seen is made of awesome words! Stop editing. Just write. And yes, I AM shaking my mother finger at you!

    That said, I stalled a bit on the Christmas story. It just didn't feel...right. Then I figured it out and the quiet character is opening up. Hopefully, I'll be done today or tomorrow. I have Stormy all day so we'll see...

    I have Stormy all day for...reasons. He spent the night last night because Only and Baseball Boy needed the Highlander. She's emptying a storage unit for a friend currently living (and stranded) in Scotland. Contents are going to friend's parents house in NW part of state. They're emptying it this morning, driving up there, off-loading, driving home, and hope to be here around 3:30-4:00. I'll be more than ready! LG is stuck at the post for a corn hole tournament. He left at 8 and won't be home until at least 4. Ah, the joys of being a Jammie. LOL

    Our snow melted pretty fast. The only branches that came down were ones already broken and way up high where the crew couldn't get to them.

    My knee is still swollen, hot to the touch, and sore. It will be for awhile. Weight bearing and works better when I'm walking than sitting--gets stiff if I don't move--so both Boone and I survived.

    Not much else going on in my world. I have some gift cards to pick up--recipients' request so yay--no real shopping! Still trying to get stocking stuffers together. That gets harder--and more expensive--every year. Dollar Tree is in my future.

    Okay. I've piddled around long enough. I'm about to start my 4th cup of coffee--why yes, it HAS been one of those mornings, why do you ask?--and Stormy has gone outside to play in the backyard so I need to get some words in while I can.

    Hang in there and KEEP WRITING!!!!

    Edited to add: Well crud! I had this ready to go a couple of hours ago and didn't hit publish because...distractions. *sigh* Love the little dickens but... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for any new words! Your writing is great -- DON'T GIVE UP! I wish my novels had half the personality that yours do. I can't wait to read more about Duke!

    I envy your energy. I still need to plant my crape myrtles, but for some reason the hole isn't getting any bigger.

    Eleven days left in the year. I hope next year is soooooo much better.

    Oh, I got a bit of work done on my dressmaking book and folded up a pattern order, so the week wasn't a complete loss after all. :-)

    ReplyDelete