Saturday, May 30, 2020

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 5/30/20

Hello again. Not a big banner week this week.  I mean, I read a couple of good books, but I wasn't burning up the pages with new reads or anything.

Last Saturday, I snagged 5 new ebooks - YA fantasy, 2 UF, a SF, and a paranormal mystery.  I still have a UF and a suspense from earlier in the month.

Books Read:

45) The Wild Hunt by Ron C Nieto (5/24/20) - UF?* - 4 stars.  New to me but not underappreciated.  Free from Freebooksy.
Review: "Awesome book. Well written. Intriguing premise. Action packed. And then it just ended with very little really resolved. Which I found a little irritating. If you're prepared to jump right into the next book, this shouldn't be a problem for you, though, so enjoy."

44) The Body Lovers by Mickey Spillane (5/23/20) - Hard-boiled crime - 5 stars.  The last of my unread Mickey Spillane paperbacks.  I've had it for years.  Rationing, doncha know.
No review.

DNFs:

5/29/20 - future thriller - 99c.  I had a tough time deciding to DNF this one.  I mean, I paid for it.  Plus, it was well written and kind of thrilling and I was over 50% through it.  But it had so many things that weren't original about it that it stank of a certain popular movie franchise thrown into a blender with crime noir and set to chop.  You can get some great ideas from movies, but you really need to puree that shit so it's no longer recognizable in the plot of your book.  In the end, I realized I couldn't give this book a good review, so I stopped reading it.

Currently reading... nothing and no clue about what's next.  I DNF'd that thing yesterday and then couldn't muster the will to start something else. Maybe I'll read another paperback.  Tune in again next week for the thrilling answer.  ;o)

What was on your reading list last week?

1 comment:

  1. This was actually a good reading/listening week for me. First, a new book and then rereads leading to the new release. Also, not sure if I reported #87. I finished it last Saturday but not sure if it was before or after I reported in here. LOL I've hit 91 books on the year which put me 9 books ahead.

    91 - Dream Maker (Dream #1) Kristen Ashley 5 stars, contemporary romance, new release, favorite series, favorite author. Loved the characters and the plot. The audio book had major production flaws that that's not on the author or the narrator. Hopefully, that gets fixed.

    90 - Quiet Man (Dream #0.5; Dream Man #4.5) Kristen Ashley 5 stars. CR, relisten for the release. Previous info applies.

    89 - Motorcycle Man (Dream Man, #4) Kristen Ashley, 5 stars See above, with the addition that Tack Allen is a favorite hero on my Top 10 list.

    88 - Mystery Man (Dream Man, #1) Kristen Ashley, 4 stars. See above, but while I liked Hawk, I probably would have nailed him on some of his @$$hattery.

    87 - Judgement in Death (In Death #11) JD Robb, 5 stars, futuristic cop, and you know how I feel about this series, the characters and the author. LOL

    I'm back to the In Death series, listening to Betrayal in Death currently. After it (likely tonight, early tomorrow), I'll be embarking on a reread of another fav series in anticipation of the next release in it. Update next Saturday.

    Keep Calm and Keep Reading!

    ReplyDelete