Saturday, May 16, 2020

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 5/16/20

Hello there.  One would think I'd be reading more during this chaos crap, but I'm not.  Of course, I'm also trying to write a book right now.  Anyway, here goes this week's wrap-up...

I was down to my last couple unread ebooks, so I figured I'd better get cracking and see what blew my skirt up yesterday morning.  I found three new books through FB posts - a cozy mystery, a future thriller, and an urban fantasy.  I also found a new ebook in one of my morning newsletters - a suspense.  The thrift stores are still not open for business, but St. Vinny's has opened to receive donations, so I'm hoping the store won't be far behind.  I'm jones'n for some newly acquired, old and dusty paperbacks.

Books Read:

41) Tender Trap by Lisa Jackson (5/9/20) - Romance - 5 stars.  Underappreciated, but probably because it was published before Goodreads existed.  And I've read Lisa Jackson before, but her suspense, not her romance.  Picked up for 25c at one of the thrift stores.
Review: "Neat little romance with plenty of twists and a dash of mystery. I love finding these old romances at the thrift store, especially when they're by well-known authors in other genres. It's fun to see where they started. This didn't disappoint."

DNFs:

5/10/20 - Future Thriller - free.  The writing was very good and the first chapter had me interested.  Then the second chapter opened with a lead-n saying our country would never have been attacked by the Middle East and North Korea if it weren't for the President... as in it was perfectly clear which president, ya know.  Oh, puleeze.  Spare me.  Then, as I was flipping the book all the way to the end to make it show as 100% read on my Kindle, I caught part of the author's bio.  :gag:  If the hippy white boy was half the liberal he pretends to be, he ought to be ashamed of himself for writing even one chapter from the POV of an old black woman.  Jus' sayin'.

Currently reading...  A cute little paranormal mystery.  I was about halfway through before Live PD came on last night.

What have you been reading lately?

1 comment:

  1. That future thriller? Thank goodness it was free! Gah. That's just...Well, we've always been on that same page. This was a slow reading week for me, only 3 books. Still, I'm at 85 books on the year, 11 ahead of schedule.

    1. Crush the King (Crown of Shards #3), Jennifer Estep, not unknown, fantasy/paranormal, light romance. 5 stars. This was the final in a trilogy. Loved the worldbuilding, writing, and characters. The author has mentioned she might revisit using a different set of charactes. That works for me! I'll keep an eye out a year from now.

    2. Shadow Flight (Shadow Riders #5), Christine Feehan, definitely not unknown. Dark-and-dirty paranormal romance. 3.5 rounded up to 4 stars due to Jim Frangione's narration. I often wonder why I stick with this author. If her characters weren't so compelling, I'd likely give up as I have on other of her series. There's one more sibling in this book and I'll give it a year for Emmie's story. Then I'm probably done--at least as far as buying the books. I'll wait on the library list. She always starts out with such promise and then everything just sort of blows up, and not in an exciting way. And I swear her editors are afraid of her because...dude! Anyway...moving on.

    3. Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonised #1) Annette Marie, not unknown. Cozy(?) Urban Fantasy/Paranormal. 4 stars. I enjoyed this author's Spellbound series about a "human" who walks into a bar, becomes a sorcery and the guild's bartender. They're sort of cozy urban fantasy? Not really sexy, some comedy, action, and magical folks. This is a spinoff series, told through the voice of a secondary character--a demon "contractor"--introduced in the other series. This is a 4-book arc, though only 2 of them are available in audio at the moment. It was fun, with a nerdy, book-geeky heroine who ends up attached to a demon.

    I'm currently listening to the 2nd book in this series: Slaying Monsters for the Feeble. I also downloaded a KU book that's dark and dirty that I'd like to read and it may be sort of next of my list--reading as my eyes allow.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete