Monday, October 5, 2020

Perspective and Weight

For those of you stressing and obsessing about weight loss, here's a thing for you to consider... I weighed myself this morning and discovered I gained three pounds in a week after getting plenty of exercise and eating normally.  Which tells me one thing* - weight fluctuates.  And there really isn't much rhyme or reason to the little fluctuations.

In the past week, I stopped eating nuts - my staple snack.  And chips, too.  (Because we're out of them and the grocery trip isn't scheduled until today.)  I'm also rationing the ice cream to make it last, so I haven't been eating as much of that as I usually do.  Less calories going in, less salt to hold water in my cells... and I still gained weight.  :shrug:  (Yes, I have cake in the house.  I almost always have cake or cookies or something in the house.)

The fourteen pounds I lost in 2018 are staying off.  Which is good.  I feel better without them - with my gimpy legs and other sundry craptastic parts, the lower the weight, the less stress on the joints the better.  

Sure, I'd like to lose another twenty pounds, but hey, I'm 50 years old and I'm lazy, so I don't realistically see that happening.  In an ideal plane, I'd get back down to the 135 I was for years.  (When I was 20 and could eat whatever I wanted and still be a hottie with a naughty body.)  This is not an ideal plane.  If I can maintain at around 180, I'm good with it.  If I can get down to the 172 I was in March when I was totally stressed out - without actually being stressed out - I'll be ecstatic.  

I guess what I'm saying is...

If you're healthy** and happy with the rest of your life, don't let the numbers on the scale harsh your day.  I'm in better shape than I've been for like thirty years, which is especially awesome considering I also weigh like 45 pounds more than I did thirty years ago.  I can lift and carry 50lb bags of corn and I can walk a mile and a half at 3.2 miles an hour without falling apart.  I get my heart rate up and it comes back down like it's supposed to.  That's all a win in my book.

It's all about perspective and what you want out of life.

*Well, two things... my scale cannot be trusted.  ;o)

** As in 'not feeling sick', not the 'health guidelines mandated by the government' that say simply being over the number they've set is unhealthy. Bah and feh.

2 comments:

  1. Nice perspective on things and very wise. I'd love to lose the almost 15 I gained since the forced stay-at-home but eh. I'm lazy too. My cholesteral is good, blood sugar okay, heart rate good, but the blood pressure is edging up, concerning but then I'm 67 years old and most of the world pisses me off.

    I'll go get some exercise today walking Wallyworld from side-to-side and front-to-back with lots of up and down the aisles for extra steps.

    Hang in there! And keep the attitude. It works on you. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, stress weight isn't easy. :hugs: Yay for your health stats being good. I hear ya on the BP, though. Mine would be fine if the world wasn't bent on pissing me off. Eat as healthy as you can and stay away from the salt. (Bad chips. No.) Yay for Wallyworld exercise. I got that yesterday, too.

      Heh. I think that's the first time anyone has ever told me to keep my attitude. ;o)

      Delete