Saturday, October 3, 2020

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 10/3/20

 Hello again.  It's Saturday, in case you're like me and can't tell what day it is, and time for the reading wrap-up.  Let's jump right into it.

No new books of any kind this week.  I'm at 2 unread ebooks, though, so I'd better get going.

Books Read:

63) The Scarlet Ruse by John D. MacDonald (10/2/20) - Hard-boiled crime - 3 stars.  Not new to me or underappreciated.  I've had this one for years.
Review: "Good suspense, I guess. The end was a tad confusing, like MacDonald was told to end the damn novel already and instead of writing out the thrilling climax, he told about it in retrospect which took the thrill out of it. Also, this story had some issues earlier Travis McGee novels didn't have, but then again earlier novels in a series like this are often best. :shrug:"

Note: Unfortunately, the above was my last unread old crime novel.  Now I haz a sad.

62) In Dog We Trust by Neil Plakcy (9/26/20) - Mystery* - 4 stars.  New to me but enough reviews to not meet the criteria.  Free off the Book Doggy newsletter.
Review: " Pretty good story. Interesting characters, intriguing premise, solid writing. Too much backstory for my tastes, but your mileage may vary."

DNFs:

9/26/20 - suspense.  25c at the thrift store.  I got a few pages in and was like 'meh'.  I keep trying this author based on the recommendation of a friend, but so far, he's not blowing my skirt up.  This was my third try and will probably be my last.   

Currently reading... after the crime novel, I didn't start anything new.  Partly because I never thought I'd get to the end of the unread crime novels and I haz a sad.  No worries, though, I still have plenty of unread hardcopies to get into.  I'm just not sure what's next.

What did your reading week look like?

1 comment:

  1. Still doing the In Death marathon. Only listened to three this week, but I was trying to focus more on writing, which cuts down on listening time. LOL I'm at 157 books on the year, still 7 ahead of my GR challenge. All books this week written by JD Robb.

    157 - Delusion in Death #35 - 5 stars. Lots going on with a serial killer and ties to the Urban Wars.

    156 - Celebrity in Death #34 - 4 stars. Not a fave but interesting due to Hollywood connection and the victim is the actress playing Peabody.

    155 - New York to Dallas #33 - 5 stars. This one broke my heart. Put it back together, but it is a tough book to read/listen to because of all that happens/is revealed. This one hit my Best Book of the Year list when it first released.

    Currently on Calculated In Death #36 then will backtrack to Chaos in Death #33.5 because for some reason, Audible neglected to mention it was the next book in the series when I finished #33. Grrr. I don't always keep track of the novellas. Anyway.

    Here's to a better reading AND writing week for us all!

    ReplyDelete