Thursday, March 12, 2020

Thursday This n That

Yeah, it's early (even post time change) and I'm writing this now rather than having set it up beforehand.  So, here I am, after only a few sips of coffee and one cigarette.  Be warned.

:eyeroll: :facepalm: :headdesk:  I just saw a post to one of the book marketing groups on FB.  It went along the lines of 'can someone help me find a publisher or an agent or both or is there a difference?'  I felt bad for her and I thought about commenting that she needed to spend way more time researching the industry before thinking about agents or publishing, but I know how that would go.  I'd say something and I'd be the bitch.  I don't need that kind of crap in my life.  Educate thyself.

Actually that last bit is good advice no matter what you're doing.  The internet holds a wealth of information.  Sure, a lot of it is crap, but there are a lot of good places to educate yourself, too.  Hell, Hubs taught himself how to plumb this house and then did it.  Now, he was already pretty handy, but you can do stuff like that, too.  And a lot of it is free.  Just set your buns down and put in the time to learn what you want to know but don't.

Don't get me started on COVID-19.  We'd be here all day.  Suffice it to say, I had an interesting conversation with a stock dude at Wallyworld yesterday.  He got yelled at by someone for being out of hand sanitizer.  As soon as he puts it on the shelves, it's gone.  It's not his fault - it's the fault of panicky, misinformed people.  And when I got over to the TP shelves, they were nearly empty.  I managed to get a 6-roll pack - cuz, like, I needed TP - but it wasn't my brand.  Bottled water, on the other hand, had full shelves.  Now that I think about it, the cold medicine shelves were full, too.  I didn't think to look at the Kleenex stock.  It's getting ludicrous out there, folks.  Everyone needs to chill out.  And educate themselves from somewhere other than the main-stream media and Twitter.

Speaking of which, I posted about the TP thing on Facebook.  My niece in Virginia replied that her store was also out of cleaning supplies, and she wondered whether people were just now thinking about cleaning their homes.  Personally, as a matter of course, I have enough cleaning supplies already in my house on any given day to clean for weeks.  When I get low on anything, I buy a backup.  I ended up buying enough groceries for a couple weeks - not because of COVID-19, but because I don't want to have to deal with the Wallyworld again any time soon.

Anyway, enough about that.  They've finally started mowing the cow pastures again.  I hope they'll be putting cows back in there.  They removed the cows after that horrible dry summer a couple years ago.  I miss seeing cows on my walks.  The local hawks are jazzed about the mowing.  They've been really circling those mowed fields.  The shorter grasses have to make hunting easier, so I don't blame them.

It's nearly Spring and Randy Roadrunner his singing his sad-puppy song of love again.  Yes, the roadrunner has a mating call that sounds like a puppy crying.  There's now a roadrunner hanging out at my bank.  I call him Rudy.  Not sure if that one is actually male, though.  I haven't learned how to differentiate genders on roadrunners yet. 

The way to tell the difference between a male pileated woodpecker and a female one is by the facial stripe.  Males have red in black and females are all black.  I know you guys really had a burning need to know that one. 

And one cup of coffee and three cigarettes later, that's it for me.  I'll be here all week, folks, and don't forget to tip your waitress.



2 comments:

  1. Soap works to wash your hands. And you can make your own hand sanitizer with aloe gel and alcohol. Also Clorox wipes (can also be homemade). Whatever. The main thing is being smart. If you've been exposed, stay the f*c! away from people. Self-quarantine. And don't go get tested just because you have a runny nose. It's spring. And it's probably allergies. It's also still flu season. Which has killed OVER 18,000 people, people! Of all ages. This $h!+ seems to like older folks with compromised immune systems. And the misinformation! And the politicization. (I think I misspelled that but I'm not going to look it up...)

    Onward. It's spring. I have more daffodils blooming outside my office window. They are pretty.

    I have said window open. The birds are singing. No clue what kind but the songs are sweet. I like this part of Spring.

    You already know my *headdesk* moment.

    We're supposed to get rain tomorrow. Yay. Except almost 80 today and then 50 tomorrow. No wonder I have a drippy nose, sore throat, and cough. (Spring cold and sinuses/allergies NOT that other crap. Ugh.)

    I don't think I have anything else to add. I'm just gonna keep my head down. 😎

    Have a good one and later, tater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have roadrunners that live on our property but I've never heard the mating call. I wonder if I have and just thought it was a dog. I'm going to have to pay attention now!

    ReplyDelete