Sunday, March 15, 2020

Sunday Update - Week 10

Well, it was a week.

I got some writing done.  Not nearly as much as I would've wanted to do, but something is better than nothing. 

I got the edits back for Ugly and the Beast.  I had intended to start them yesterday, but...

I spent a fun-filled morning trying to buy stuff before the panic-stricken lunatics left me wiping with washcloths and trying to make my own catfood.  Here is that story:

In the wee hours, I spent some time reading the laments of people across the country of their inabilities to buy basic necessities.  Hubs and I then decided I would go forth into the world.  It was sprinkling when I left.  When I got to Walmart it was raining... remember that for later.  Inside Walmart it was like Florida before a hurricane or up north before a blizzard.  Empty shelves, people desperately trying to acquire their needs while others were bent on hoarding.  I managed to get the things I really needed to weather this panic out - cat food, meat, soups.  Most of the people there were chill, but a little annoyed with the circumstances.  (Apparently Friday's customers were rude and mean.)  As I walked away from the cashier, I said I hoped it wasn't raining as hard as it had been when I arrived.

It was raining harder.  I pulled my coat off and laid it over my groceries so they didn't get soaked.  Cuz, like, I'm drip-dry.  Lucky for me, I had found a close parking spot.  Unlucky for me, I had pulled a muscle in my back about halfway through Wallyworld.  Big fun. 

But I wasn't done.  I decided to drive through the torrential rain to check Dollar General for bottled water and toilet paper.  (The water is for Kira.  She can't drink our hard water anymore.)  So, I make it to DG with the wipers on full blast and small lakes all over the roads.  I left my super wet coat in the car, because hey, I was just running in and running out.  I got TP and water.  Yay! 

Then I went back out to the car.  I reached into my right pants pocket, where I keep my keys.  No keys.  I reached into the left pocket.  No keys.  I looked at my car seats.  No keys.  I loooked high and low, and there they were, hanging from my ignition.  Doors locked?  Yup.  I always lock my car doors. 

Back into the DG I go.  Lucky for me, Hubs has an extra set of keys to my car.  Unlucky for me, he was a half hour away at least and it would take him time to get the old Jeep down there to me.  So, there I am at the DG, soaking wet, cold, and irritated with myself.  I haven't locked my keys in the car in probably 20 years, and never with them hanging out of the ignition.  Stupnagle.  And it's still pouring rain.  Thankfully, the gals at the DG were extremely sweet to me.  One of them offered to give me a cigarette so I wouldn't have to pay the outrageous pack price there.  I paid her for 4 of them because one was not going to do it.  They watched my purchases.  They let me use their bathroom - even though they'd stopped letting customers use their restrooms because, I assume, people have been stealing the TP.  Super nice gals all of them.

Hubs finally arrives after driving through the pouring rain and floody spots.  He unlocks me, puts the water and TP into the car, and off we go for home.  If I don't get at least a cold after this, I'll count myself extremely lucky.  I finally made it home about noon after 3.5 hours of fun.

After that, I didn't really feel like doing much of anything. 

I read stuff this past week.

And I lost a pound somewhere in there.  I haven't weighed myself since the yesterday debacle.  That has to count for another pound, though, right?

That's more than enough out of me for one day.  I hope you're all well and safe and happy out there.  Here's hoping this craziness doesn't last as long as I fear, but I'm stocked up if it does.  If it lasts longer?  :shrug:  We'll deal with that when it comes.

How was your week?


  1. Hugs re: all your difficulties! So glad you found everything you needed, though.

    Tomorrow Mom and I are doing our weekly shopping run. The only thing I particularly want to get are cat food and litter, but I think I have enough to last an extra week.

    I got some work done, but my current source is sloooow going. Next week (this week?) is filled with doctor appointments, so I don't expect to get much accomplished.

  2. OMG! I feel for you. Totally. I'm glad I have electronic ignition. I can't lock the doors with the key inside. Did you catch the bit on LIVE RESCUE last Monday where Tulsa FD "raced" Officer Ross of LIVE PD fame to unlock the car with the keys inside? And then RELOCKED THE CAR! Without getting the keys. They beat him the second time too. It was fun to watch.

    What is wrong with people?!?! Luckily, we don't need TP or paper towels. Or bleach. Or cheese. Yes...CHEESE! All the shelves at Wallworld where the cheese is? EMPTY! The meat guy told me they wipe out the meat counters every day too. Who can eat that much?!?! This is me contemplating this whole thing: 🤯 (that's my head exploding).

    I didn't write either. I'm listening to my chicken soup book and series.

    I'm late getting around because my longest bestest friend ever drove down from Wichita to surprise me. She did. I was still in PJs and hadn't even brushed my teeth. We visited nonstop for about 4 hours and then she climbed in her car and drove the 2 1/2 hours back to Wichita. We were college roommates. And hated each other the first semester. So much for first impressions. LOLOL

    Okay. Time to figure out dinner. The mayor declared an emergency over the beer flu. I'm hoping our favorite Chinese restaurant is open. As soon as LG gets back from errands. Hope it's soon. I'm hungry...aaaannnnndddd the freaking governor just declared a state of emergency. There are SEVEN cases in this state. Seriously?!?!?! 🤦‍♀️

    Hang in there!