Saturday, August 31, 2024

Saturday Reading Wrap-up 8/31/24

Since I didn't do one of these last week, this is two week's worth.  (I forgot, but last week was pretty boring, so no great loss.)

I picked up one new ebook that I'm not really sure of the genre for.  It sounded interesting, so we'll see.  No new hardcopies.

Books Read: 

21) James Herriot's Dog Stories by James Herriot (8/30/24) - Literature. 5 stars.  Neither new to me nor underappreciated.  Who doesn't love Herriot?  Don't answer that.  I don't want to know./
Review: "This is a lovely collection of stories from James Herriot."

20) Brother Assassin by Fred Saberhagen (8/24/24) - SF.  5 stars. The author isn't new to me, but I'd only read one fantasy series of his.  It could probably use more review, though.  I got this for at a 2 for 25c sale.
Review: "Interesting story told in three parts. I really enjoyed it and I loved the end."

DNFs:

8/20/24 - literature.  I picked up a little known title from a well-known author.  I just couldn't get into it.  It's up on the keeper literature shelf, but I don't hold out a lot of hope that it'll ever get read.  :shrug:  It was only like 13c so no biggie.

Currently reading... Not quite sure what I'm going to pick up next.  I have a few ebooks I could read and loads of hardcopies.  Tune in next week.

What were you reading this week?

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed some of Saberhagen's books, especially his Dracula series, that started with THE DRACULA TAPES. I had a descent--sort of--two weeks. I've caught up and gotten ahead on my goal of 50 books this year. I should up that goal. I'm sitting at 41 books, which puts me 8 ahead on the year. It's only September (tomorrow) and I'll go through more than 9 books in the next 4 months.

    I got caught in a "why?!?" relisten to four books from an author that I stopped reading ages ago because...reasons. That said, I got sucked in and listened to the first four books. I remember now why I gave up. I used to be a big fan of the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series but yeah...no.

    A book that's had a lot of hype (and I have a tendancy to totally dislike many of those books) dropped on my library wait list and wow! I'm really glad I got on the list. THE LOST STORY by Meg Shaffer. It's sort of Narnia meets "The Tracker" (a show on CBS) with a dash of the Princess Bride out-of-book narrator (ie, breaking 4th wall). It was very well written, very sweet, though the romantic HEA happened between...SPOILER!! (though not really, as it was mostly telegraphed early on) the two male characters though the two female characters also got their HEAs--though not romantically. I'm not a fan of m/m books but this one had so very much else going for it and the relationship was so perfectly set up and presented that this book is on my Best Book of The Year shelf on GR. 5 shining stars.

    I'm currently listening to the Graphic Audio (full cast) version of Patricia Briggs's MOON CALLED, book 1 in the Mercy Thompsom series. It's pretty entertaining and I enjoyed this series when I discovered it a few years ago and binge read it. I really should catch up on the more recent books.

    Hope you find a good book to get lost in! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete