Saturday, August 17, 2024

Saturday Reading Wrap-up 8/17/24

 Hello!  It wasn't an exciting week in reading, but here goes...

I picked up one new ebook.  It's a romance.  And I have one unread ebook from last week - a mystery.  No new hardcopies.

Books Read:

19) The Case of the Half-Wakened Wife by Erle Stanley Gardner (8/12/24) - mystery - 5 stars.  Neither new to me nor underappreciated.  I picked this up at the thrift store for $1.
No review.  

DNFs:

8/17/24 - free - mystery.  The writer had this weird way of writing - like tons of little asides in parentheses (if you know what I mean) and thoughts that weren't italicized or even really set apart, and sometimes the thoughts of one character would be in parentheses inside the dialogue for another character.  I muddled through but in the end, I decided I no longer cared enough about the whodunnit to keep slogging along.  Derp.

8/15/24 - free - Paranormal Mystery.  Bleh. Totally unlikeable MC and TSTL other characters.  The premise was good and I kept hoping the story would get better, but it didn't.  

Currently reading... I DNF'd that mystery a few minutes ago, so I haven't had time to pick up another book to read.  I'll probably grab something off the shelf when I get ready to read again later.

What was on your reading list this week?  I hope yours was better than mine.

1 comment:

  1. Evidently, I've been on a roll. I'm currently at 37 books in my 50-book GR challenge. I'll probably have to up my goal which is a good thing, since I normally average over 200 a year. I finished all my "new" reads last week, I think. No, wait! I do have one "new" (in that I haven't actually read that book before). The rest are rereads but from 2017 so it's been awhile and I'm a glutton for punishment. Long story.

    Anyway, in no particular order because I'm too lazy and we're headed out into the heat for soccer here in a few so I'm hurrying to get my Saturday morning stops done.

    a. Firelight (Darkest London #1), Kristen Callihan, ParaRom. 3 stars. It was okay, one of her first books. Probably won't check out the rest of the series. (I skimmed a lot of it.)

    b. Tiger Eye (Dirk & Steele #1), Marjorie M. Liu, ParaRom. 3 stars. Kept seeing a lot about this series. Interesting premise in this book but it didn't "grab" me. Good writing, just something didn't quite click. I might give the series another try at some point.

    c. Guilt Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #1) Laurel K. Hamilton. 4 stars. Okay. I originally read this series WAAAAY back in the day and gave up on it for...reasons. For some reason, I reread the beginning few books in 2017. The long story is I saw a request for "what is this book I can't remember" and the only two people who commented said it had to be a LKH Anita Blake book. Welp, I didn't remember ANY book in the series (of the ones I read previously) that fit. I ended up checking out the first book and relistening to it. Sadly, I still mostly enjoy the writing, the characters and the plot line. She was good before she went off the rails.

    Anyway, in that vein (no pun intended), I'm now listening to THE LAUGHING CORPSE, #2 in the series. I'm waiting on some new releases to drop in the next few weeks.

    Hope you find something good to read!

    ReplyDelete