Thursday, March 17, 2022

Thursday This n That

Since the weather is nice, I went out into the garage to move my baby trees out onto the deck.  Elmer, the elm tree I planted from a seed last year, has loads of little leaves.  He's just a stick with green popping out all over it right now, but it looks like he might be trying to make branches in a few spots, too.  Yay.  I was inordinately happy to see Elmer had lived.  Also, the twins - the two tiny cedar transplants - are alive, too.  They have new growth, too!  Yay.  I will move them back in if the weather turns nasty.  

I've been trying to write AND edit on the same days.  Two different books, of course, but yah, it ain't easy.  I think I just need to get into the swing of it again.  I only edited yesterday.  Well, actually proofreading, but I'm still making notes and tweaking things.  My beta readers did most excellent jobs, but I'm finding things we all missed.  This tells me that the book was gripping engaging enough to pull readers past missed words here and there, so it's all good.

After seeing damn near everyone using gripping in their title info, I'm beginning to hate the word.  Not everything is gripping, damn it.

We have a red-shouldered hawk that's been hanging out in our woods.  Here's a photo of it.

I believe I shall call him Rufus.  No, I don't know for sure it's a dude hawk.  Not sure how to differentiate gender on that species.

Hey.  Wanna see a picture of my naked buns?

I call it my gratuitous bun pic.  :gigglesnort:  I need to make more of those.  They're pretty tasty.  I'm also thinking I can take that dough and use half for buns and the other half for cinnamon rolls.  We'll see.

I need to get a fishing license for this year.

Someone came walking up the hill yesterday.  He went straight up my across-the-road neighbor's driveway, up onto their porch, and stood there.  I never saw him knock.  Then he left.  Not sure what was going on there.  I think I might know who he was - his property butts up to that neighbor's on one side - but I'm not 100% sure.  I've only seen the dude with his wife and alone he doesn't quite look the same.

Isn't it weird how sometimes you can see someone out of their usual context and you don't recognize them?  Or it that just me?  In Colorado, I used to hit the thrift store regularly and I got chatty with the owner.  Once day a gal comes up to me in the store and starts talking to me like she knows me, and I had no idea who she was.  Basically, I made small talk with her for like ten minutes without knowing how she knew me.  After she walked away, Owl whispered in my ear that she was the owner of the thrift store.  ROFL

If I ever ran into any of you, I would be totally clueless - mainly because I've only seen pictures and have never met any of you in real life.  

And on that note, I'll let you go.  Feel free to drop your this-n-thats in the comments.  The more the merrier.




2 comments:

  1. The thing about hawks, and raptors in general, is that the male and females all basically look alike, unlike songbirds and other small tweeters. The basic difference is that the female is larger so if you ever see Rufus with a buddy, the bigger one will be Rufina. 😉

    Happy St. Patrick's Day. Yes, I am wearing a spot of green and it isn't from the green sugar cookie I ate last night.

    We're due rain/storms tonight. Yay? We need the rain but I can do without the other stuff.

    Multitasking is not easy. My brain is breaking over the "business" of revising those books with returned rights. I spent a great portion of yesterday building Reading Lists on Books2Read. I did one that has all the books I have listed on D2D and then I did separate lists for each series. I then deleted the previous links (to my website) and plugged in the Reading list links. I should have personalized the links while I was at it but my brain was having enough trouble braining. See, the deal is, as you know, you need generic links for the books uploaded to D2D. To save initial time and addition time when new books are added, I simply linked to the series page on my website. Now I've got them linked to B2R lists. Less clicking. I hope. Anyway, I still have the headache from yesterday.

    Today, I am going to write. I'm not going to watch the news. I'm not going to mess with back matter. I need to get Kin and Meg's story told. Not sure how long it will be. I haven't actually set up a word counter on my site. I guess I should do that. I'm shooting for about 40K. We'll see.

    I hooked the hose back up in the backyard so I could wash the birdbath and the dog pool that is more community drinking fountain than dog bath. It's a small one, so the boss can bascially stand in it and that's about it. However, the possums and coons like it.

    I'm sure there was other stuff this week that is eluding me at the moment so time to get more coffee and get on with my day. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hawk! ROFL about your naked buns!!! You remind me I still have a couple of boxes of biscuit mix I need to make up before it gets too hot.

    Between trying to fix Mom's little problems and my brother's even smaller problems (first he forgot how to make a blank Word file, then how to turn off his laptop), I done almost no work this week. But --

    (drum roll) I'm -- almost -- a new cat mommy! Three new cats showed up on the Shelter's website, so Mom and I ran down to Waco. I fell in love with one, Mom another, and for all her advocating for a huge, roly-poly golden male, I adopted Cleo. She's a 3 year old Blue Russian-looking little lady. I can't take her home until she's been spayed, and she has a stiff front foot they're considering amputating, so I might not get her until next week. Holding my breath, now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete