Saturday, March 5, 2022

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 3/5/22

Hello!  I finally finished the round of edits on my own book, giving me time to read other people's books.  Let's just say, it didn't go well this week - until yesterday.  Yesterday's book was awesome.

No new books.  I did stop by the thrift store, but upon discovering they'd jacked all their book prices up, I stopped looking, put the one old Zane Grey I'd found back, and went on with my life.  In the 9 years I've gone to that thrift store, they've gone from 5/$1 paperbacks to 4/$1 to 50c each and now $1 each.  And $5 each for any book older than 1970.  Screw that.

Books Read:

11) A Spell in the Country by Heide Goody, Iain Grant (3/4/22) - Paranormal Mystery* - 5 stars.  New to me and while it does have more than 50 reviews, I still think it deserves way more appreciation.  Free off the BookDoggy newsletter.
Review: "This book is wicked awesome. At first, though, I wasn't sure where the book was going. I mean, it was a fun ride, even then, but I was all like 'what?' Still, I was having too much fun to stop, so I stuck it out and sure enough, the author pulled all the threads together into a well-woven cloak of awesome. I read the last half of the book straight through, staying up way past when I'd normally close a book and go to bed. Could NOT put it down. It's quirky. And interesting. And fresh. With loads of action. And did I mention fun? Super well-written novel, too. If my budget allowed, I'd be slapping down all my book monies for more of this author."
Available in Audio.

10) True Blue Murder by Elise M. Stone (3/2/22) - Cozy Mystery*# - 3 stars.  New to me and less than 50 reviews.  Tons of ratings, though.  :shrug:  Free off the ENT newsletter.
No Review.  (If you're new here, I don't review books with less than 4 stars.  For what it's worth, I rarely finish books I think will get less than 4 stars.)

DNFs:

3/3/22 - free - suspense.  It started out pretty good, but the next scene was all present tense.  I hate present tense unless it's done really really well.  This wasn't.  Plus the shift from past tense to present was jarring. Who needs that? Life's too short.  Blerg.

3/3/22 - free - UF.  Meh.  It said it was the first book in the series, but it felt like there were probably more before it.  Maybe it was a spin-off series from an established series.  The whole beginning I felt lost, so I gave up.

3/3/22 - free - paranormal mystery.  So formulaic, I felt like I'd read it before, but I hadn't.  

Currently reading...  I stayed up late to finish that book last night, so I haven't had time to start anything new.  Maybe I'll read The Three Musketeers next.  Or one of the two new-ish ebooks I have left on my Kindle.  Come back next week and find out.

What was on your reading list this past week?  

1 comment:

  1. Well crud. I was all but finsihed and managed to close the damn tab. Starting over. 20 books on the year. 3 since last wrap-up, I think. 5 books behind schedule.

    20. Sword and Shadow (Wolves of Elantra #2; Chronicles of Elantra #0B), Michelle Sagara, fantasy, 4 stars. This was slow to develop and lots of narrative rather than action. Still, features a favorite character and the worldbuilding is amazing.

    19. The Emperor's Wolves (Wolves of Elantra #1), Michelle Sagara, fantasy, 5 stars. Fantasy. First in a spin-off series. Loved it, but after listening to the 2nd, I'm worried the author is wandering into lots of telling territory like the main series, which I stopped reading a couple of books ago.

    18. Abandoned in Death (In Death, #54), JD Robb, futuristic crime/SciFi/RomSusp 4 stars. Fave author and series but this one felt a bit retreaded. Still, a good story with great characters.

    Currently listening to LAKE SILENCE by Anne Bishop. This a relisten to the first book in a spin-off series in prep for the new release. I'll have it finished today or tomorrow and then I'll start on CROWBONES, the next book.

    Happy reading. Oh! And I'm just over 80 pages into SONG. LOVING IT!

    ReplyDelete