Sunday, November 7, 2021

Sunday Update - Week 'Time Change'

 Well, my computer says it's 5:51, but my brain says it's almost 7.  Stupid time change.  I just saw on FB where a local news station asked how people felt about the time change and like a dozen people gave it a heart.  Those people should be slapped.  Just sayin'.

Anyway, here's the week that was...

I finally got some editing done.  Last night.  One and a half pages worth.  Then my brain started with the whole 'I'm never going to get this done' and the 'even if I do get this done, it's still gonna suck and require weeks more work and pages more edit notes and even then it will probably still suck'.  It's rough inside a writer's head.

If you missed it, I now have four books in wide distribution.  Blink of an I went first, then I did all three books in A Model Curse.  I wish I had a universal link for the series as a whole, which would be so much easier, but alas, I haven't found a way to do that yet.  I still need to fix all the blog links so they point to the ULs for each book.  I've posted the links to FB though.  So that's something.  

This wasn't the most exciting week for reading, but I did finish one book, DNF'd one book, and made progress in the omnibus I'm reading.

In baking news, I made applesauce bread one day and chocolate oil cake yesterday.  There I was doing the oil cake and I fucked up majorly.  I sifted together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.  Then I began adding the wet ingredients.  Stir stir st... this doesn't look right.  CRAP... I forgot the baker's cocoa in the dry ingredients.  I chucked it in and did my best to incorporate it.  Needless to say, my cake still has lumps.  I added chocolate chips to try and mask the lumps.  Then when I was making the frosting - chocolate peanut butter, by the way - I fucked that up, too.  After an interminable amount of time trying to get it right, I finally gave up and dumped it on the cake.  Except it was way too wet and started running over the edges of the pan onto the counter.  GAH!  I got the flood stopped and threw the whole thing in the fridge.  It ain't pretty, and it'll never win any awards, but it's pretty yummy, and that's what really counts.  And I was right, the chips hide the lumps.  Yay.

You know, when you're making frosting and you're totally screwing it up and it's like lumpy soup, so you add more powdered sugar, but then it's too thick, so you add more milk, but then it's too thin again, so you add more... Umm, I now have a heavily frosted cake AND a big bowl of leftover frosting, too.  I think it'll make a good ice cream topping.

On the activity front, I did 5 out of 7 days.  One day was a walk and the other four were throwing logs.  We have a sizable stack of firewood now.  Someone asked me if I was getting a woodstove for Christmas.  Umm... no.  For now, we're just accumulating wood.  It gives us both an activity where we're getting the hearts pumping and doing something constructive, so it works for us.  Weight hasn't changed: 181.6.

The big bucks are starting to wander through the yard lookin' fer love.  Magnificent.  Fingers crossed they make it through hunting season.  If they don't, here's hoping they lose their lives to people who hunt for food and not for trophies.

I think that's about it for me today.  There's probably more, but it ain't coming to me at this time.  What's been up in your world?


2 comments:

  1. Daylight Savings Time should be against the Geneva Convention! It is inhumane!!!!

    Naps were my friends last week. I suspect they'll be even moreso in the coming weeks.

    I changed all the clocks last night at like 9 p.m. It didn't help this morning.

    My Pokes won!

    Reading was okay. Writing? Not so much. I need to get MONTANA MOON finished today and uploaded so I have ULs to update upcoming books I'm taking wide. Yes, I've made the decision to take the books I have left on KU wide and I'm not going to worry about them bein gout of order. Whatever. I think I'd lose money that way.

    Lunch was awesome yesterday. Good to see the Kids and enjoy our fave Mexican restaurant.

    Tuesday happened. I started watching the news again just to see certain folks flail and make excuses and take pot shots that only piss off more and more people. Mid-terms will be very interesting. And that's as political as I'll get. Except to add that Winsome Sears is my new hero. She is made of all KINDS OF AWESOME!

    I learned a new "hack." If you sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda over coffee grinds before brewing, it negates some the acidity. It works! (Especially with cheaper brands of coffee.)

    I don't think there's anything else of interest or import in my world. Yay for "happy" accidents in the kitchen, wood, exercise, edits (something is better than nothing! Keep chipping away at it!) The sun is up and actually shining! I'm ready for another cup of coffee and don't ask what number because I've lost count at this point. Oh, and time to switch out loads of laundry.

    Have a good one! Later, tater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for tasting yummy! You're right, that's all that counts.

    I'm finally feeling almost human again, instead of like a cut-rate zombie. DON'T catch whatever stomach bug is going around!

    No work done this week, that I can remember. The zombies got my brain power.

    Wishing everyone a better week!

    ReplyDelete