Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Stuff to Do, No Urge to Do It

So, it's morning again.  Funny how that keeps happening.  Thank goodness there's coffee.  

Okay, so I sat down to write this post about 40 minutes ago and then got distracted by the internet.  Derp.  I think I'm having a Short Attention Span Theater kind of morning.  This does not bode well for the rest of the day.  

I have this problem.  It's not a unique problem.  It's also a pain in my ass.  Every time I have a shitload of stuff to do, I get stalled by the amount of things I have to do.  Where to start?  How am I ever going to get it all done?  And then I give up and go watch TV.  It helps sometimes to write a to-do list and just start tackling items on it.  Sometimes making the list is about as far as I get.  

This happened to me yesterday.  I had a bunch of stuff to do and did nothing.  Okay, so I did the dishes.  Gotta do the dishes or we won't have anything to drink from, eat off of, or eat with.  That and the piles in the sink get to me after a while.  Every time I walk into or past the kitchen, there they are... judging me.  Also, the longer you wait on dishes, the worse they are to do.  

Sometimes I have a load of things to do, but bypass them all for some other task that I don't really need to do.  Clean the house or go outside into the fresh air and sunshine to throw logs?  Easy choice.  We have quite the stack of firewood now for a home with no fireplace.  Meanwhile, the house is covered in dust and the floors need vacuuming again.

And now I have all this writerly business work to do.  Did I do any of it yesterday?  Not a chance.  And the weather sucked, so I didn't even do outside stuff.  

On occasion, I can get myself to do stuff simply by bitching about not doing stuff.  (Hence, this post.)  For some strange reason, it helps if I sing Bruno Mars' The Lazy Song in my head.  (And there went another 5 minutes looking up and watching that video. LOL)

In reality, I know I need to approach all this like eating an elephant... one bite at a time.  Maybe that's the way to accomplish it all.  Stop thinking about how much I have to do and pick one thing.  Do that.  Pick another thing.  Do that.  Slowly but surely, it'll all get done.  As long as I don't give myself time to think about what a slog it all is.  

Oh, hey, look at the time... the morning 3-hour marathon of Grey's Anatomy is starting...

2 comments:

  1. Did you at least get the day job stuffs done?

    Maybe turn it into a game? Make your To-Do list, cut it into strips by task, drop them in a hat and draw one. Do it. Then draw another. Do it. Keep going until the hat is empty. (We used to do that with Only as a way to corral her lack of focus due to ADD.)

    And yeah, I totally get the lack of motivation. And procrastination. I've been up since 5. Does this mean that I'll be up at 4 come the end (or is it the start?) of DST. Ugh. Anyway, I've had 2 cups of coffee. I've let the dogs in and out twice. I've fed the cats. I put up last night's dishes. I sorted email. I scrolled through my blog roll, hence my being here. It's been 3 hours. That's not much to show for 3 hours. And I already want a nap.

    Okay. Time to get more coffee, "see a gal about a dog," and get started on writerly stuff. Or not. At least that last one.

    Hang in there. Later, tater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did get my stuffs done. All the data was entered and my audit located where all the errors were. LOL, you offered me a strategy created for ADD kids. Not that I probably don't need that exact thing. ;o)

      Delete