Sunday, May 30, 2021

Sunday Update - Week 22

 Hello again, Everyone.

I actually managed to do some writing this week.  Well, Friday and Saturday.  It's only about 2K words, but it's better than nothing.  Friday, it was another case of 'I can't sleep', so after rolling around in bed for an hour, I got up and wrote.  Then yesterday, I made myself write again.  I'm not sure it's very good and I'm pretty sure I need to go back and change some things, but it's writing.

In marketing... I ended up moving 13 copies of Unequal through the course of its 5-day freebie.  Blink is free now and I moved 2 copies last night.  It'll be free through the 2nd and then on the 2nd Rumor Has It will start its 99-dent sale.  

I only read one book that I could attribute to my Reading Wrap-up for last week.  I read another book, but it was a beta read and the book hasn't been published yet.  Once it's published, I'll add it to the list and talk it up a lot.  It was seriously awesome.

On the baking front, I did granola bars early in the week, then I did a black forest cake.  Then I did pizza.  THEN I made oatmeal apple raisin cookies.  Yeah, it was one of those weeks where baking was necessary.  

As for activity, I have stuff down for 5 out of 7 days.  Most of that was either weeding or working in the garden (moving 42 pots worth of plants inside and outside and around the deck totally counts).  I walked one day - the first walk in over 2 weeks - bringing my total walk mileage to 33.2 miles for the year.  At this point, I'm thinking my goal of 100 miles isn't going to happen, but hey, who knows what the rest of the year will bring.

Gah, so much rain this week.  And it's not done yet.  

Yesterday, I had a little bird ditch into the window.  I didn't see anything looking out the window, but I always open the door and check to see if its under the chairs.  It was sitting on the door mat, totally not focused on anything.  I squeezed out the door, so it wouldn't maybe fly inside.  I needn't have worried.  He was totally stunned.  I picked him up and looked him over.  He was the prettiest little bird and I'd never seen anything like him before.  After he became alert, I put him in the hydrangea to finish his recuperation.  While I had him, I asked Hubs to bring me my cell phone and I snapped some pics of him.  Then after I came back inside, I downloaded the pictures and went to work on identification.  He was a male Kentucky warbler.  



Striking little dude, eh?  The pictures make him look bigger than he was.  And I have big hands.

In other nature news, the deer are still pregnant.  Shouldn't be long now and we'll start seeing does with sunken bellies.  Then in about a month to six weeks, babies.  Yay.  I was watching a buck in the front yard.  He was being a good boy and just eating grass, but then he walked over to my redbud tree and started munching leaves.  I knocked on the window and told him to stop eating my tree.  He looked up at me like 'what?' then he took a step forward, grabbed a whole mouthful while staring me in the eye, turned tail and trotted away with the leaves hanging out of his mouth.  Teenage boys.  What are ya gonna do?

We also had a raccoon, a bunny, and a turtle in the yard this week.  And I found a teeny tiny snake while I was weeding.

My big hydrangea is exploding with flowers this year.  I think it actually likes the fact that I had to cut the crepe myrtle down to the ground.  The myrtle is trying to make a comeback, growing up from the dead base.  My only remaining cultivated rose is also crazy with blooms after being cut back hard.  All in all, the hard freeze we had a while back didn't do as much damage as I'd feared.  Except the black cherry trees never bloomed, so no cherries this year.  And the black walnut trees had all their flowers freeze, so probably no nuts this year either.  (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing except the squirrels will be hungry little pains-in-the-butt come fall.)  Time will tell.

Okay, I think that's just about enough out of me.  I probably should go do something constructive this morning.  Have a great day, everyone.

How was your week?



2 comments:

  1. You had a nature-filled week of awesome! I gigglesnorted at the buck story and the little warbler dude is cool. Yay on baking and work outs because moving those pots totally counts!

    My week...was. Insane tech nonsense happened. Then it sort fixed itself. I think. I haven't actually tried to print anything more than one page. We'll see after I get a new supply of ink.

    Edits. Edits. Edits. And now more edits. But that's good. I'm that much closer to get GHOSTS released.

    Softball dominated the weekend though my Cards came through--so far.

    Listened to a bunch of short books. The long one I've currently queued up is languishing because...edits.

    Very little cooking--lots of premade-stick-in-the-oven things because...edits.

    Stormy came to play and spend the night. He's way too smart for my own good.

    Not much else going on. Gotta busy week planned. We'll see how that works out. LOL Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for writing! Any and all words count. You can't fix what's not on the page.

    I love your warbler! What a pretty little fellow. I heard on a science program that birds (and people) have trouble seeing glass because our eyes evolved in water, and like in water, light moves more slowly through glass. Hm. It made more sense when she explained it.

    LOL at that bratty buck!

    I got a lot of work done this week. My new sources are a lot clearer, and the illustrations need far less work. I still need to go back and finish the old blurry ones, though. Le sigh. But I'm going to work on the easy ones as long as they hold out!

    ReplyDelete