Saturday, May 22, 2021

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 5/22/21

Good morning, Everyone.  It was a pretty good reading week for me, so let's jump right into it.

Since I was almost out of new ebooks, I picked up 4 new ones this week - romance, mystery, UF, and paranormal.  I'm on the last ebook from before this week right now.  No new hardcopies.  

Books Read:

26) The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie (5/18/21) - Mystery - 5 stars.  Not new to me or underappreciated.  Picked this one up in that box lot I've been working my way through.
Review: "I've tried other 'Tommy and Tuppence' stories and couldn't get into them, but as I had finished reading all my other Christies and only had T&T stories left, I figured I'd give them another go with the first book in the series this time. Wow. This book is so awesome I stayed up late finishing it. Ms. Christie set me up but good this time, so I was totally surprised when the villain came to light. So good. Now I can read the other ones."

25) Dead Wrong (Cree Blue #1) by Kate Allenton (5/16/21) - Paranormal Mystery* - 5 stars.  New to me, but it has enough reviews to not meet my criteria for underappreciated.  (It could be more appreciated, though.)  Picked this up for free off the ENT newsletter.
Review: "I inhaled it. This book is too much fun! I loved the premise, the plot, and the characters. Interesting twist to the whole paranormal thing, too. Awesome backstory judiciously sprinkled throughout to give you enough info about Cree without boring the pants off you. I definitely need more Cree Blue in my life."

24) The Honeymoon Cottage by Barbara Cool Lee (5/15/21) - Romantic Mystery* - 5 stars.  New to me, but not underappreciated.  Free from the Book Gorilla newsletter.
Review: "I got this book thinking that it was a cozy mystery. Totally not cozy and leaning toward suspense with loads of romance. A romantic mystery, if there was such a genre. Still a very good book, though."

DNFs:

5/16/21 - free - Mystery.  Meh.  I think the author was trying so hard to 'set the scene' of a 'mystery novel', they'd missed what a mystery story actually reads like.  At least, what the mysteries I enjoy reading read like.

Currently reading...  A paranormal romance.  I'm not that far in, so the jury's still out.

What were you reading this week?  How'd you like it?

1 comment:

  1. I'm at 70 books on the year, now 7 behind my goal. Ah well. Edits take priority and I've been doin' a crap-ton load of those! Also, I'm still in a bit of a slump.

    70
    69 - Storms Heart (Elder Races #2) Thea Harrison, paranormal romance/UF 4 stars. Relisten. Still pretty good.

    68 - Dragon Bound (Elder Races #1 Thea Harrison, PR/UF 5 stars. LOVE this book. It remains a favorite.

    67 - An Indecent Proposal (O'Malley's #3) Katee Robert, romantic suspense. 4 stars. That's the original rating. I sort skimmed the last part this time through because I got bored--me not the book so not penalizing.

    Currently listening to SERPENT'S KISS (Elders #3). Will likely finish it today and will move on to the next in the series. Listening slow but I haven't gotten bored so there's that. Off to work now.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete