Sorry about the preempt, but Saturday being Christmas and all, I thought it would be best to move the Wrap-up to today. The final Wrap up for 2021 will also be moved, but to Friday, ya know since next Saturday is New Year's Day.
Okay, let's see how the reading week went...
I picked up one new ebook - a cozy mystery - and two paperbacks via Amazon.
68) The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler (12/26/21) - Crime Noir - 5 stars. New to me, but hardly an underappreciated book. Picked this paperback up new from Amazon. Full price.
Review: "Good story. Similar to the movie, but not quite the same. Enjoyable, even with the differences. The five stars are for the story, not the edition. This particular edition came with various weird typographical flaws, so if those irritate you, you might want to find another copy. Personally, I'll still be on the lookout for a good, old, used paperback."
67) The Guest is a Goner by Carly Winter (12/23/21) - Paranormal Cozy Mystery*# - 5 stars. New to me and underappreciated. Free from an Amazon recommendation.
Review: "Cute little cozy with some fun characters."
66) Dhata Mays by Greg Dragon (12/22/21) - SF Crime Noir*# - 5 stars. Not new to me, but underappreciated. Free off an Amazon Top 100 Free list and because I'd read another book in this series.
Review: "I really do love these stories. The setting is intriguing. The writing is superb. And Dhata is kick-ass. A nice nod to the noir fiction I love, as well as the futuristic SF I enjoy."
65) The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris (12/20/21) - Thriller - 5 stars. Neither new to me nor underappreciated. Picked this paperback up new from Amazon. Full price.
Review: "I'd never read this before. A most excellent book and yes, better than the movie."
64) Anthem by Ayn Rand (12/18/19) - Literature Novella - 5 stars. Definitely not new to me, but I always think this book deserves more appreciation. I've had this book for years.
Review: "I really needed this right now. I probably should make this a yearly read. It refreshes my soul."
Currently reading... Nothing. I was working on my own book yesterday. I think I'll hit another paranormal mystery today. I have 7 more books to read and only 5 days in which to do it. I think I made a valiant effort, but I doubt I'm going to make the goal this year. Stay tuned.
What did your reading week look like?
Okay, now I'm all confused. Do I count the book from this weekend or use it for this week? 🤣 I think I'll save it. Anyway, I'm at 196 books, so 4 to go to meet my yearly challenge. (I'll have two more by the end of today so actually, I'll only need two by Friday to win the challenge!) I did get 4 books added to the list this past week.ReplyDelete
196 - When Birdie Babysat Spider (Jayne Frost series), Kristen Painter, 4 stars, paranormal cozy mystery: Fun little novella I picked up free through Audible Plus. I was looking for something "seasonal" that was light-hearted. It fit the bil
195 - Fated Blades (Kinsmen Universe #3), Ilona Andrews, paranormal SciFi romance, 4 stars: Interesting worldbuilding, good action, fun characters.
194 - The Kinsmen Univers (anthology: SILENT BLADE #1, SILVER SHARK #2, A MERE FORMALITY #2.5) - Ilona Andrews, paranormal Scifi Romance - 4 stars: The Kinsmen are the elite in this world. They have special "powers" of various strengths and family is everything. Lots of espionage and fighting betrween the clans.
193 - Dream Keeper (Dream Team, #4), Kristen Ashley, contemporary romantic suspense ("light" on the suspense, but it's there), 5 stars. I almost didn't request this book from the library after almost not finishing other entries in the series. I stopped auto-buying them. This one surprised me. I liked both characters and the plot was a good one.
Saving the book I finished yesterday for this week's update. Currently listening to Kristen Painter's MISS FROST SOLVES A COLD CASE, a Nocturne Falls Mystery, (Jayne Frost #1). I've listened to it before (picked it up free, somehow), and it is a light, fun cozy mystery with supernatural folks. It's perfect for this time of year and I'll be moving on to book #2 later today so will likely finish out my 2021 challenge with Jayne and her crew.
Happy reading and editing!