Tuesday, July 6, 2021

The Journey to Get Healthier

I'm back on the 'trying to get healthier' wagon again.   I'm watching what I eat, getting more active, and trying to shed a few pounds.  Why?  Because I feel better when I'm slimmer.

But not too slim.  This is me in 2002 at 110 pounds and a size 6:

Look at those stick legs and spindly arms.  I could see all my ribs.  My poor boobs were like underinflated balloons.  Gross.  (Note: I did not get that skinny intentionally.  I was working a job I hated where I was on my feet for 8 hours a day with no lunch break, running around a call center, and not eating when I got home because I hated life.  I don't recommend it.)

This is me thirteen years later at 194 pounds:

Umm, yah.  When I'm that heavy, I feel gross.  My joints hurt.  I get winded easily.  The internals get squonky.   And it's just not healthy for me.  Especially considering my crumpled spots.  The ol' legs and hips can't take lifting the extra poundage and dragging it around.  

Right now, I'm at 183.8.  (I weighed myself yesterday morning.)  Still down about 10 pounds from the top, but not nearly as low as I'd gotten a couple years ago.  And I'm feeling it.  So, I need to get back on the wagon and shed those craptastic boomerang pounds at a minimum.  

I know what I need to do.  I need to decrease the amount of food I'm putting in my face and increase the activity.  That's really all anyone needs to do.  It's harder for some than for others, but seriously... decrease the calorie input and increase the calories burned and you will lose weight.

You don't have to starve yourself.  That's just silly.  And it doesn't work in the long run.  You don't have to deprive yourself either.  Eat what you love, but eat less of it.  Instead of a bowl full of ice cream, eat two scoops.  Instead of a bag of M&Ms, eat a handful.  Instead of an entire pizza, eat two slices.  (Start out eating half then switch to two, so you're not shocking the system.)  I knew a gal who could eat a whole pizza for lunch.  She then cut back to half and then wound up eating only two slices.  She lost weight.  How much?  I don't know, but it was a visible change.  Her clothes fit better and she seemed happier.

Also, you don't have to spend your whole day working out.  Do something active every day.  Start small.  Anything that gets the heart pumping and the limbs moving works.  Hell, when Hubs started his walking regime, he would walk back and forth in front of the house (on the flat) until he felt like he was ready to start taking the hills.  Now, he's walking 2.5 miles 3 times a week.  For exercise, not weight loss, but he feels better now that he's doing it.  I couldn't walk a mile when I started out either, but I'm doing it now.  

If you slip up, don't beat yourself silly for it.  Try again the next day.  You'll get there.  Soon, you'll find out two things - Overeating makes you feel gross and so does laying around.  

Oh, there will be pain.  Unused muscles tend to get bitchy when you start using them again.  Take the pain reliever of your choice and get over it.  Your muscles will thank you later.  Don't overdo it either.  Take it slow.  Your body will tell you when it's had enough.  When it starts to gripe, push it for a couple more minutes and then give it a break.  For godsakes, don't hurt yourself trying to get healthier.  That's just silly.

Another thing... You might get impatient to see results.  In this day, everyone wants the quick fix.  Get over that, too.  There is no quick fix.  Realize that every day you're feeling better and getting healthier.  Tell yourself that when you look at your nekkid self in the mirror before you hop in the shower and you're not seeing a naughty body.  Shrug and say "I'm healthier today than I was yesterday and I feel better."  Learn to like the body you see and you'll be more inclined to want to do stuff to keep it going.

I don't want to live forever.  I do want to enjoy the days I have and in order to enjoy those days, I have to feel better. For me, feeling better means being active and slimming down.

On a side note:  Pinterest has got this new rule where you can't talk about losing weight, share your successes, tell people how you did it, post before and after pictures of your journey - in the name of stopping 'body shaming'.  Being the taciturn turd I can sometimes be, I wrote this post.  If reading about my weight loss, etc. makes you feel ashamed of your body, that's on you.  It shouldn't, by the way.  I would hope it would encourage you.  If you are ashamed of your body, do something about it.  Don't hate those people who are doing what you won't do.  And don't be ashamed of your body.  Silly.  If it's working the way it should for you and you feel healthy, be who you are.  If not, do something about it.  Shame is a waste of time and doesn't get you anywhere.

'Nuff said.  This is my journey.  If you want to come along on a journey of your own, more power to you.  Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'll never see my size 3 wedding dress again. (My sister-in-law gave it away when she cleaned out my mother's house house after she died...don't ask.) In my case, it was thyroid. I ate like crazy. A year later, I was back to my normal 130. Then I got preggers, hit 170, and then menopause and here I am at 190. I've been as high as 210. I'd love get back to that 170. Given the vicious circle of joints and weight and exercise, that's probably not going to happen at my age.

    You, however, are just a young'un! Go forth and prosper with exercise. Stay fit! I had a trainer tell me that's far more important than weight. Good luck to you! You got this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for getting on with your journey!

    I feel so much better when I walk a couple of miles in the morning. I don't manage that when it's both hot and humid, but I try to get a mile in. My joints complain a lot less when I make them work out regularly.

    ReplyDelete