Saturday, January 4, 2020

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 1/4/20

Well, hello again and welcome to a brand new year of reading wrap-ups.

I did actually meet my Goodreads goal for last year.  I hit 120 books read on 12/29.  Yay.  And I set a new goal for 2020 at 70 books.  So, let's jump into it...

Since I read the last new ebook on my Kindle on Sunday, I vowed not to download any others until after the first of the year.  You know, start with a clean slate and all that.  (Sure, I had already vowed that, but I succumbed to greed and picked up the two I read last weekend.)  On 1/1, I picked up a new mystery.  And then I got two suspenses and a paranormal mystery.  Fun start for the new year.

Books read:

1) All Things Wise and Wonderful by James Herriot (1/3/20) - Literature - 5 stars.  I'd never read this before, but it's the third in the series which I've been thoroughly enjoying.  Picked up for 50c at the thrift store.
No Review.

120) To Hell and Gone in Texas by Russ Hall (12/29/19) - Hard-Boiled Crime*# - 5 stars.  New to me and underappreciated.  Free off the ENT newsletter.
Review: "A really most excellent hard-boiled crime story that hearkens back to the old pulp novels. Totally enjoyable read."

119) Resolution by Linda Winstead Jones (12/28/19) - Romance*# - 5 stars.  New to me (which is odd because I'm friends with her on FB) and underappreciated.  Picked up for free after seeing a FB  post from her about it.
Review: "Cute story with a satisfying happily ever after and a touch of suspense. Loved it!"

DNFs:
None this week.  Yay.

Currently reading...  I finished the Herriot novel just before bed last night, so I haven't started anything else.

Well, that's my first week of the new year.  How was reading for you this week?  What's your reading goal for 2020?

1 comment:

  1. Goal of 200, and I'm two books in and working on the third. I re-listening to The Others series by Anne Bishop. It's a favorite and I discovered it soothed the weird reading headspace I was in at the end of the year. I'm on the last book of this particular arc and she has two others that branch out into the world she created but without much crossover with the large cast of characters from the original. That's okay. I like her world. I've seen these books on both fantasy and UF shelves. I see them more as alternative fantasy. There are humans and there are Others. The Others are in charge and humans, being arrogant as we are, forget that--and the consequences of the things out there being bigger, badder, scarier, and willing to eat us. After that? I've no clue what I'll read. I need to find something that will feed my brain when I have "busy-work" time and can listen but is easy to stop when I start "real work." I'm going to do a lot of "real work" (aka writing) this year. That's my goal. Possibilities, baby, they're out there!

    ReplyDelete