Saturday, January 18, 2020

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 1/18/20

Frankly, I hate starting the week with a DNF, let alone two, but here we are again.  I did manage to finish two good books this week, though.

I picked up a few new ebooks - mystery, urban fantasy, medical thriller.  With an urban fantasy leftover from last week's finds.

Books read:

6) A Few Good Men by Sarah A. Hoyt (1/17/20) - SF - 5 stars.  Not new to me since I read the first two books in the series and, as the third book, isn't appreciated nearly enough.  I bought this back in about 2015 at the local used book store.
No review.  Suffice it to say, it was awesome and I didn't have the words to do justice to it.  Still don't.

5) Fatal Justice (Jack Lamburt #1) by John Etzil (1/12/20) - Hard-boiled Crime* - 5 stars.  New to me, but over 100 reviews on Goodreads.  Free off Book Gorilla.
Review: "Now that was awesome. Intense. Fast-paced. Satisfying end. Loved the characters, the premise, and the story. Good stuff here, folks."

DNFs:

1/12/20 - Mystery... Suspense? - free.  Meh.  I had this down as a mystery.  It billed itself as a suspense.  It was missing on both cylinders.  The beginning was suspensey.  The next part was folksy.  The next part was the MC on a plane griping to herself about being jilted.  :shrug: 

1/11/20 - Suspense - free.  Wow.  I think the author was trying too hard to make it gritty, but it was jarring.  And I didn't like the MC.

Currently reading... I finished the SF last night at about 6:30, and then I had stuffs to do, so I haven't started anything yet.

What did you read last week?

1 comment:

  1. After finishing up Anne Bishop's The Others series last week, I dithered for a bit looking for something else to latch onto. Looking at my wish list of upcoming books/want to reads on GR, I realized Jennifer Ashley has a new one coming out in her Shifters Unbound series fair soonly. As I can grab most of these books off Audible Escape, I launched into the series. I last listened to the series (for the first time) in 2018 so it's been awhile. Ashley's worldbuilding is interesting and I like the on-going plot arc. These paranormal romance/urban fantasy books are neither unknown nor underappreciated. I'm one book ahead of my challenge at the moment. All books are 4 stars, deal with fated mates, have very sexy bits, but a lot of action and continous worldbuilding to keep things interesting. Shifters created by the fae, secrets, and bad humans to counteract the good humans. Oh, there are also good fae and bad fae, and good shifters and bad shifters, so it all works out. LOL
    6. Pride Mates
    7. Primal Bonds
    8. Bodyguard
    9. Wild Cat
    10. Hard Mated
    Currently listening to 11. Mate Claimed.

    ReplyDelete