Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Library Stories and Reading

Okay, I stole the idea for this post from my friend, Silver.  This started out as a comment I was leaving on her post.  She asked for library stories.  Go read her most excellent post and then come back.  

Okay, so here's my comment:  "I don't have a library story.  Libraries haven't been my thing.  We lived far enough out in the country that Dad driving me into town to visit the library wasn't happening.  I went to the school library where we could check out one book a week, as long as we turned in the book from the week before.  Mostly, I read the same books over and over.  Or I read the few books I had at home over and over - Robin Hood and King Arthur were my favorites.  When I got old enough, I started reading Mom's books.  She belonged to that Harlequin subscription service where books would show up in the mail.  And the garage sale finds when Dad would bring home boxes of assorted books for Mom.  I read a lot of things I probably shouldn't have from those boxes, lemme tell ya.  Then there was the year or two when my oldest brother lived next door and he'd let me borrow as many of his books as I wanted, and he had tons of books.  I think it was high school before I started visiting the library regularly.  I'd check out as many as they'd let me and tear through them all.  Fantasy and SF mostly.  And that was the first, last, and only time I was a regular library visitor.  Weird for a writer to say that, I know, but it's true."

And here's what I could've added, but my comment was already too long for someone else's blog...

The truth is that I haven't stepped foot in a library in years.  And that was to talk to the librarian about carrying my books.  I donated a few and never saw them on the shelves, so I stopped.  Oh, wait, I went in one other time to attend their book sale.  I picked up quite a few.

Oh, I did try to get a library card here.  I had the idea that I would regularly check out books there.  The problem was that in order to get a library card here, I had to present not only my driver's license, but also a utility bill.  No, my checks wouldn't be enough to prove I was a resident.  Not my voter registration card either.  Had to be a utility bill.  And I don't carry those around in my purse.  I could never remember to take a bill with me when I was going to town, so I gave up on getting a library card.  

If I want to read a book, I buy it.  If I don't have the money to buy the book I want, I go without.  And I read a lot of free ebooks.  Or I buy books at the thrift store.  I also have a shit-ton of books here in the house that I can read.  

The last time I was in the library, and the years before when I went to the library regularly with Owl, I noticed that the library wasn't so much about books anymore.  They were internet cafes without the coffee.  Or daycare centers where a person could drop their kids off for free for the day and someone else would entertain them.  When I was a kid, libraries were for quiet, peaceful reading.  Maybe some research, which was also quiet.  The last thing I want when I'm reading or trying to find something to read is a bunch of kids running around.  Or people playing video games in the background.  

To me, a library is sacrosanct.  Like a temple to knowledge.  A place for quiet introspection and learning.  Filled with the smell of books, not the smell of sweaty rugrats.  

Anyway, it kind of turned me off of visiting the library.  And now, here anyway, the library is always asking for money.  So they can build a bigger location with even more room for computers and 'activities', but never a word about more room for books.  Feh.  

I'll stick to my personal library, thanks.  It's quiet here.  And there are actual books.  I can read them or pet them or just stand around smelling them.  

What about you?  What's your library story?  


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'd forgotten you had a bad time with libraries. Sometimes, librarians get all up in themselves and forget what it's supposed to be about. My "local" library is part of a metro-wide system. And it's new. The old building was mid-century, with roof leaks and cramped space so not many books actually on the shelf. Luckily, you can go on-line to find a book and have it delivered to the library if you want a physical copy. They tore down the old building and put up a new one that has a reading area with a working fireplace and very comfy chairs. The computers are in a seperate room and users have to use earphones or buds if they turn the sound on. And yes, the librarians do police that. There are activities for kids in the kids area. There are meeting rooms that are soundproofed. I've been terribly lucky with libraries in my life and I know that.

    I seldom visit anymore because I do my "reading" by audio books. Luckily, the library is up on that too. Ebooks, audio books, movies, magazines, mmusic--all availiable on-line and they also have a subscription to Hoopla so there are even more books and movies and stuffs.

    Anyway, I'm lucky and I know it. And I'm sorry you have a shitty library. But yay for books! The reading AND the writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I can remember being in a library was in college, and that was strictly for work -- school and paying. I've never been to the local branch, and I've been here nearly 20 years. Like you, I prefer to buy books.

    ReplyDelete