Saturday, July 30, 2022

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 7/30/22

Good morning!

I picked up a bunch of new ebooks this week.  3 urban fantasy, 2 suspense, a romance, a mystery, and a fantasy.  

Books Read: 

42) Fastening the Grave by LA McBride (7/29/22) - UF*# - 5 stars.  New to me and underappreciated.  Free off the Freebooksy newsletter.
Review: "Good one here! A different and interesting premise, likable (or hate-able, as the case may be) characters, solid writing. All around an enjoyable book."

41) Tapas, Carrot Cake and a Corpse by Charlotte Denver (7/24/22) - Cozy Mystery* - 4 stars.  New to me but not underappreciated.  Free off the Book Doggy newsletter.
Review: "Cute, little cozy mystery."

DNFs (and here I was thinking I escaped the week with no DNFs):

7/29/22 - free - suspense.  I would've killed the two characters in the opening scenes myself if I could've.  Dragging the reader around with a pair of unlikable people for a couple chapters without introducing the suspense is not a good way to keep this reader reading, lemme tell ya.

7/29/22 - free - romance.  Bleh.  A tried and true premise tortured by godawful writing.

Currently reading... After I finished that good book and then DNF'd two dregs, I gave up and watched On Patrol Live.  I'll try something else today.

What was on your reading list this past week?


1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a decent reading week. I'm still at 93 books on my challenge. I'm still 7 books ahead so not too concerned. Yes, I'm i a book slump. I've pretty much given up on the current read which gives me a sad. I love this author and her quirky humor but the characters in this book just haven't caught fire with me. And I guess I'm not far enough along to figure out what the whole deal is other than the MC is basically a supernatural Mary Sue witch with no clue because her mother was killed, she was adopted, and her grandmother chose to keep her hidden from those who would do her harm with a powerful spell. There's some hunky handyman who wears a kilt, the requisite BFF, and...that's it. I got it from the library so no harm, no foul. And it's close enough now to the release of a book I've been waiting on that I can start that series.

    Anyway, no new books to add and I need to remember to delete the currently listening one from my GR list. Next up is SILVER SILENCE by Nalini Singh. This is a fave book because RUSSIAN BEAR SHIFTERS! (In Singh's world, there is no Putin and no war on Ukraine so I can love the Russian bears.)

    First though, I am going to finish the damn revisions. But first, more coffee. Happy reading! And glad you tracked down a stack of books.

    ReplyDelete