Saturday, June 4, 2022

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 6/4/22

Hello again!

I picked up three new ebooks this week, since I finished one I hadn't read yet on the 29th and DNF'd the last one on the 31st. The books I picked up were: suspense (which I also finished this week), paranormal mystery, and SF.  No new hardcopies.  

Books Read:

31) Web of Lies by Sally Rigby (6/3/22) - Suspense* - 5 stars.  New to me but not underappreciated. Free off the Book Gorilla newsletter.
Review: "Excellent read! I enjoyed the characters and the plot of this one immensely."
Available in audio.

30) Unlucky Charm by Kimberly Gordon (5/29/22) - UF* - 5 stars.  New to me but not underappreciated. Free off the Freebooksy newsletter.
Review: "Exciting, fast-paced plot, populated with interesting and likable characters. There was a lot going on from the start that kept me on the edge of my seat, and I discovered why at the end. This is more like a 'Part One' than a whole, standalone book. Nothing was resolved. Just more questions. I still gave it five stars, though, because it's a helluva read. Just be prepared to want any other books she's got in this series as soon as you finish this one.

Oops, bought the book and wrote the above before I caught on that this is a PREQUEL. My review still stands, though."

DNFs:

5/31/22 - free - cozy mystery.  Meh.  I think the author was trying to pack too much into the MCs backstory and then overloading the beginning with it.  Major info dump.  Bleh.  

Currently reading... Since I finished that suspense last night about 8, I didn't have time to start a new book.  Maybe I'll pick up a hardcopy next and give my Kindle the day off.

What was on your reading lists this past week?

1 comment:

  1. Pretty good reading week for you. Glad you find some good books. I'm at 70-71, 7-8 books ahead of schedule. I have an hour left on the current book so I'm including it here because it'll be finished before noon. LOL I could have delayed posting until I finished and it would be all legit and stuff but that means remembering to post. I careened through 5 books this week.

    71 - Caressed by Ice Psy-Changeling, #3), Nalini Singh, Para/UF Rom, 5 stars. LOVE this book and the MCs are one of my favorite pairs. Both of them are so flawed and damaged and they find healing together. Plus, lots of series plot arc movement! Also, I'll mention here that on GR, I also tag these books as SciFi and am debating whether to add Alt.Hist. to the list. It's set in the near future, though things "changed" in 1979. It's "now" a hundred years later. All three groups--Psy, Changlings, and Humans were always in the world but stuff happened in the 1970s that truly altered the course of the world. Anyway. Love the series. A lot.

    70 - Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling, #2), Nalinie Singh, Para/UF Rom, 4 stars. Liked the characters but this one didn't grab me as hard.

    69 - Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1), Nalini Singh, Para/UF Rom, 5 stars. It's been 3 years since I did a full relisten/read of the entire series. New one coming out later this summer so I figured why not indulge. Love this world and most of the characters. This is the first book and a must-read to get the world right.

    68 - When Darkness Comes (Guardians of Eternity, #1), Alexandra Ivy, Para Rom, 3 stars. New-to-me series, but have read other books by the author. This was typical vampire fare with hapless heroine in over her head. There were witches involved and other stuff. I admit, I DNF'd the middle from about 30% and went to the end. Yup. It ended pretty much as I suspected. Likeable characters but predictable.

    67 - Archangel's Light (Guild Hunter #14), Nalini Singh, Para/UF Rom, 5 stars. Nalini's world and her talent with words is amazing. This book disappointed a lot of her readers for...reasons. Me? I had no trouble with the way she handled the romance.

    Currently reading: MINE TO POSSESS, Psy-Changling #4. The series relisten might be interrupted as I have a library hold that I'm currently #2 on, with 11 waiting behind me so I'll stop to listen to it. Hope you all find a great read!

    ReplyDelete