Saturday, January 15, 2022

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 1/15/22

Well, here we are again.  I had a pretty good reading week, all things considered.

No new books this week.  But since I only have the book I'm reading and one other, I'd better get cracking this week or I'll be screwed.  Of course, I still have scads of hardcopies books to read, so not totally screwed.  LOL

Books Read:

5) The Preacher's First Murder by KP Gresham (1/12/21) - Mystery*# - 4 stars.  New to me and while it has plenty of ratings, it's underappreciated as far as reviews go.  Free off the Amazon Top 100 Free list.
Review: "Pretty interesting mystery with plenty of good characters, an intriguing premise, and a satisfying resolution."

4) Murder in White Lace by Karen Sue Walker (1/11/22) - Mystery* - 3 stars.  New to me but not underappreciated.  Free off the Free Kindle Books Facebook page.
No review.  (In case you're new here, I don't review books with less than 4 stars.  I rarely finish books if I don't think I can give them at least 4 stars.  Why harsh some poor writer's day?  The only reason I even rated it was so it would show up in my Books Read category and I'd get credit for reading it.  I put in the work, after all.)

3) The Light of Western Stars by Zane Grey (1/9/22) - Western! - 5 stars.  Neither new to me nor underappreciated.  I picked this one up at the thrift store for 50c.
Review: "What a magnificent story. Grey outdid himself with this one. Action, adventure, unrequited love, a hero redeemed, sweeping descriptions that make the reader feel as though they are right in the thick of it all. Plus a sweet surprise near the end. So much awesomeness."
!Available in audio.

DNFs:

1/14/21 - suspense.  Free.  Meh, it was so loaded with backstory, it felt like a book 4 instead of a book 1, which made it not very suspenseful.  Maybe it was a new series based off another series and I missed it.  :shrug:  I don't have time to worry about it.

Currently reading... a suspense.  The last ebook leftover from 2021.

What was your reading week like?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You had a productive week! Me? Not so much. I'm 2 books behind schedule on my 150-book challenge. I managed 2 books this week.

    3) Lone Wolfe (Wolfe Creek, #1) Kaylie Newell, Romantic Suspense with Supernatural/Paranormal elements. 4.5 stars. New to me author, a little under appreciated on rating and reviews. Free for me from Audible Plus. There are hints about werewolves, there's interesting area/family legends, I didn't figure out the bad guy until he was revealed--ALWAYS a plus, and I liked both the author's writing voice and the narrators style. It took almost a week to finish because I wasn't driven to listen and real life stuffs. Still, I enjoyed the book and will be checking out the next two eventually.

    2) Sacket (Sacetts #7) Louis L'Amour, Western, obviously not nrew or underappreciated. 5 stars. I inhaled this series in paperback when I was younger. I have several "collected stories" hardbacks. I loved the TV mini series. I mean Sam Elliott and Tom Selleck! Anyway, I found this one (which is about William Tell "Tell" Sackett, who was portrayed by Sam Elliott (be still my heart!). I inhaled this book and I'll be looking at the series as they're availble from the library and I need a western fix.

    Currently listening to CLEAN SWEEP by Ilona Andrews. I got the audio book for $1.99 when the ebook went on sale for $2.99. Way cheaper than spending a $15 credit. Long story I'll cover next week in the review.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete