Thursday, March 11, 2021

Thursday This n That

I've been hip deep in editing stuffs this week.  Last night, I finished entering the second round of edits.  Now, I just need to scan through it one more time and then I can send it out to readers.  But first I need to find out if my readers are actually free to read.  Derp.

An author this morning on FB was talking about people who call themselves authors who really shouldn't be calling themselves that.  And my first thought was 'he's talking about me'... which is, of course, impostor syndrome.  You know, where you think you're not really a writer even though you are.  I suspect people who don't encounter this from time to time are the kinds of people he was talking about.  He's right.  You can't just whip a book together and throw it onto the internet and call yourself an author.  This shit takes work.  I've taken two days off in the past three weeks.  Last night, I was editing in my sleep.  If that ain't an author, I don't know what is.

Of course, I also took the eleven days before that off, which is part of what feeds my impostor syndrome.  Maybe I'm not an author.  Maybe I'm just a writer.  And that's okay.  

My thirty day ban on looking at dogs ended yesterday.  Suddenly, I have pooches needing homes in my FB feed again.  I think I need to snooze all those sites again because I'm still kind of obsessing on dogs.  I need to get to a point where I can look at the pictures without yearning to bring one home.  

Someone dumped a litter of puppies in the woods around here.  (Not near here, but I saw it on FB.)  Six little girls about 6 weeks old without their mommy.  They were all wormy and scrawny and tick-bitten.  What kind of monster does that?  The rescue agency will take good care of them and send them off to good homes, but if they hadn't been discovered, they'd be dead.  Asshole.

I finished that book I had been saving as a treat for myself.  Now I haz a sad because it's over.  At least until he writes and publishes the next book.  =o(

Oh, gawd, I just realized... I'm a 50-yr-old fangirl.  

I also realized that reading his books feed my impostor syndrome.  :shrug:  I'll keep reading them and suffer the consequences of not feeling quite good enough with my own writing when I finish them.

I am who I am.  I can only write what I write to the best of my abilities.  Someone out there likes it.  Several someones, in fact.  Just the other day, I had a reader in the UK inhale all of my SCIU books one after the other.  If they didn't like what I wrote, would they do that?  Umm, no.

Be nice if those someones wrote a review every now and then.  

Okay, that's enough out of me again today.  What this-n-thats are on your radar today?

1 comment:

  1. YOU ARE AN AUTHOR! And a good one, at that. Don't let imposter syndrome get you down.

    Those poor puppies! But I strongly recommend that if you decide to get a dog, get a grownup. At least, I couldn't begin to handle a puppy or kitten. But then, I'm a lot older than you.

    84-yo Mom, Brother, and I are to get Covid jabs this afternoon. Hooray! I'll be so happy to worry less about her.

    ReplyDelete