Sunday, August 30, 2020

Sunday Update - Week 34

Well, number 34 is in the books and it was a week I'd just as soon not repeat.  And for this week I'm gonna change the format of this week's update a little bit.

We started the week on Sunday and it was fine.  Monday morning, Owl announced that the university had sent her an email telling her she couldn't move in for an additional three weeks, which sent us all into a spasm.  We got that sorted out and started to be okay with it.  Tuesday afternoon, she got another email saying she was approved for 'special dispensation' and could, in fact, move in on Saturday as planned.  We got that sorted out, too. 

Friday morning, we loaded everything up and headed north to the airport.  The trip there and back was fine.  Her flights were fine.  Everything was lovely.  Until she reached the rental car agency in Detroit and discovered a snafu.  I get a call from her that she is trapped at the airport with no way to get where she needs to go.  After much wrangling and back and forth and phone calls and internet searches - the buses had been suspended, the taxi services all had answering machines, no one at Lyft would pick her up - she finally got a luxury car service to pick her up and take her to her dorm.  Not cheap, but at least she arrived in style in a chauffeur driven Town Car.  She spent the night on a friend's futon, since she wasn't scheduled to move in until Saturday.  The majority of her belongings are still at my mom's place - which was why she was renting a car - but she'll deal with that later.

Needless to say, I lost a pound last week.  Specifically, lost a pound on Friday.  178.4 Thursday morning, 177.4 Saturday morning.  Imagine that.

Also, needless to say, I didn't get a lot of writing done for this last week of AuGoWriMo.  Only about 2900 words on the three days I did write.  Thank goodness I finished Cinder Ugly before last week happened.  I did have some ideas on where to go next with the mystery, which I wrote down, so I do have writing plans.  I just haven't mustered the will to write in the past three days.

No other writerly things got done.  Natch.

I spent yesterday putting the house back to 'hermit couple mode'.  The spare room bed is now up against the wall, giving me room to exercise in there again.  The extra chair we'd put in the living room is back in its place in the office, giving me room to dance around in there again.  The extra desk chair for her in the office has been moved back into the storage closet, leaving Hubs the entire conference table to work at again.

I'm now looking forward to things getting back to as normal as anything can be right now.  I'm still looking for Owl to come walking into the office here and there.  Five months of her being here can't be changed back in a day.  It would be sad if it could. 

So, anyway, that was my week.  How was yours?


  1. Just what you and Owl needed--more stress. Not! Glad she got off. Sorry for the car SNAFU but glad she got chauffered. Hopefully, she and Grandma can work out retrieval of items. The last few times I flew anywhere, I just budgeted for the car service from the airport. So much easier and not that much more expensive than a cab. Plus, I didn't have to stand around waiting for the bus and I don't do Uber or Lyft. Anyway, glad she's safe and your life is slowly returning to pre-Owl normalcy. Hang in there, Mom.

    As for me, it was a week. Writing was hit or miss but I added quite a few words. It got hot. Then it coold off. Then it got hot again. My Cards are losing. The Reds and the Cubs had a bench and bullpen clearing thing in which there was no social distancing. I wonder if any of them will land on the IL/CL in the near future.

    I had a good listening week. Really sad my relisten to the Hidden Legacy series is over.

    Having some arthritis/carpal tunnel issues with my right hand. I got almost 1K words written yesterday then iced the hand/wrist. Didn't go back to work. I'll have to watch it.

    Not much else in my world. Here's hoping for a better week!

  2. Poor Owl! I'm glad she got to her friend's place safely.

    After all that, I'm not surprised words didn't flow. What a week! I hope this one turns out better.

    Still poking along on illustrations, but I got another year's description done, too. Slow going, but progress.