Saturday, November 16, 2019

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 11/16/19

Well, I did better this week with the reading thing.  Three books finished.  And they were all good ones.  Yay.  And only one DNF.  Yay.

I've been scanning through the newsletters, but nothing was really compelling me to download until yesterday when I picked up a supernatural thriller and a paranormal mystery.  Otherwise, I'm down to 3 older unread ebooks - YA something, mystery, paranormal mystery.  :shrug:  I've also got hardcopies if I blow through those.

Book read:

102) Murder, Mayhem, and Bliss by LouLou Harrington (11/14/19) - Mystery* - 5 stars.  Not new or underappreciated.  I bought this because I'd read book 2 earlier in the year and when I saw this for free on the Robin Reads newsletter, I had to get it.
Review: "So much fun! I loved the characters and the plot and the setting and the mystery... Well, everything about this story."
Note: The series is set in Oklahoma, in case, you know, you happen to like stories set in OK.

101) Where Eagles Dare by Alistair MacLean (11/11/19) - Action - 5 stars.  Not new or underappreciated.  I mean, it's Alistair MacLean for pitysakes.  And it was made into a movie with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood.
No Review.
Note:  I never saw the movie, which is weird because I'm into this type of movie, but I'm glad I didn't because if I had, I would've known what was going to happen in the book and I don't think I would've had nearly as much fun reading it if I knew what was coming.  Loads of twists in this one, folks.

100) Epitaph by Karla Brandenburg (11/9/19) - Romantic Suspense*# - 5 stars.  New to me and underappreciated.  Free off the Reading Deals newsletter.
Review: "I loved this book, even though it was totally not what I was expecting when I downloaded it. I was thinking something along the lines of cozy paranormal mystery. And that's probably my mistake. This is totally romantic suspense with a supernatural bent to it. And being a big fan of romantic suspense over the years, lemme tell ya, this gal has got the chops for it. The supernatural just added an extra yummy element. It did turn out a bit spicy on the romance side for my tastes, but I have weird tastes, so I'm not shorting this any stars for it. Like I said, I loved it and I would choose it again.

DNFs:

11/11/19 - Free.  This was the other one I snagged off Amazon's 100 top free thriller list.  Further proving that being on a Top 100 list doesn't necessarily equal being a good book.  In its defense, I probably shouldn't have started this after finishing an action thriller by one of the biggest names in the genre.  Total disappointment after only a few pages.

Currently reading...a political thriller I picked up on the author recommendation of a friend.  (She hadn't read this title, so if it fails, I'm not knocking her.)  So far?  I'm not really getting into the whole first person thing here and the POV character is kind of an ass.  I'll keep going and I'll let you know how it goes next week.

What did you read last week?  Anything good?

1 comment:

  1. Still doing my KA re-listen. None of her books are underappreciated considering she's a huge name in romance. I finished out the Mystery Man series and I'm on to the Chaos MC series. I have a not so secret love on MC books. What's cool about most of these books is that the H/Hs are older. A few of the books have younger (20s) but most are 30s/40s. So...good. I'm 9 books ahead of my Goodread's challenge, currently listening to #228/250.

    Morning duties done. Time to write. I have to make up for yesterday which was pretty much a bust. Ah well. I'm ahead of schedule on #NaNoWriMo so that's good. Later, gator.

    ReplyDelete