Saturday, January 12, 2019

Saturday Reading Wrap-Up - 1/12/19

Hello and welcome to the first reading wrap-up of 2019.  Since I did a wrap-up of last year this past Saturday, that week's books are here, too.  I didn't read a lot of books, considering this is two weeks worth, but I'm on track with my goal, so it's all good.

At the start of the year, I had 10 new ebooks on my Kindle in various genres.  I keep promising myself I won't buy anymore books until I've read those.  But I bought 3 paperbacks at the thrift store on the 3rd, so that promise isn't going too well.  I also have a ton of hardcopy books left to read.  Should be a book-filled year.

Anyway, here are the reads from the past two weeks...

3) Code Onyx by Val St. Crowe (1/8/18) - Urban Fantasy*# - 5 stars.  New to me and underappreciated.  Got it during a freebie off one of the FB marketing groups.
Review: "Fun and edgy with a different premise. Oh, and I totally didn't see the surprise at the end coming. I mean, I had a feeling, but I didn't see THAT. Definitely need to get the next one."

2) Bottling It by A.A. Albright (1/6/18) - Paranormal Mystery* - 5 stars.  New to me, but not underappreciated.  I picked this up when it was free from one of the FB marketing groups.
Review: "Super cute and fun."

1) Alfred Hitchcock's Daring Detectives by Various (1/1/19) - Mystery Anthology - 5 stars.  Neither new to me nor underappreciated.  Rec'd as gift.
Review: "Loads of interesting and fun stories by the greats in mystery fiction. Not a bad one in the bunch."

DNF 1/4/18 - Stopped at about 35%.  I was having a really tough time getting through this, but I was forging ahead.  Then the author decided to, apropos of nothing, take a potshot at the President.  Meh.   I see enough of that crap on a daily basis in reality.  I don't want it in my fiction.

-------------------
I'm currently reading a fantasy from a unknown, underappreciated author.  So far, so good.  A thief, a wizard, and a barbarian are tasked to hunt down a vampire serial killer.  Nifty.

Read anything good so far this year? 

2 comments:

  1. I plan to check a couple of these out. I also want to know about the one you're currently reading. :) I'm 13 books into my challenge, which puts me about 6 books ahead. I've sort of gone "dark and dirty" with mob-style romances. I read a series by a new-to-me, definitely NOT underappreciated which...gah! because the editing was horrible and so was part of the writing but I still slurbed down the entire series (free to read with my KU subscription) because...I don't know WTF why. That lead me to a series I read previously because there are two "new" books out and I wanted to refresh my memory. Yeah, those are dark and dirty too, known author, definitely not underappreciated and I'll admit to a catnip addiction. I also read a new-to-me, not underappreciated sweet SciFi alien bride romance. Go figure. I get the sense that other books in the series are...steamier, but this one was a slow burn with a sweet alien critter trainer, a blind human and her seeing eye dog. BLIND FALL (Stolen by an Alien #5). I think it was on sale but again, it was a KU book. It was fun to read, especially after I discovered the glossary in the front. I HATE that Amazon opens a Kindle book at Chapter 1. I WANT to read the front matter. Ah well. I'm also still listening to THE PERFECT HORSE. It's getting a little bogged down in details but I'm still interested in the history of just how Patton got involved with saving the Lippazaners. (Partly because LG's boss when he was in law school and we both worked at the state capitol was part of that raid/rescue/campaign/incident. I want to see if he's listed. I read a few paranormal romances, most of which were on the way-sexy side.

    And, that's pretty much it for me. Back to listening now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you check them out. And the one I'm reading now is pretty good. I should finish it today and it'll be on next week's wrap-up. But be warned: he has punctuation problems. Primarily, no question marks in dialogue that's an obvious question. Like "what do you think you're doing," he said. I'm still gonna give it five stars, though, because reasons.

      Sometimes I flip forward before I read the book to see if there's anything pertinent before chapter 1, but yeah.

      Sounds like you've got some good books on your list this week, Silver! Yay! The reading slump is over!

      Delete