Saturday, January 7, 2017

Saturday Fishing Report - 1/7/17

As you may have guessed, I did not go fishing last week.  I thought about it once since it seemed like it was going to be the last non-frigid day for a while, but I couldn't motivate my gumption and by the time I did get motivated, the temps had turned cold again. 

So, let's talk gear again. 

I mentioned before that Hubs and I got each other fishing stuff for Christmas.  Big bass stuff.  Or so the reviews go.  Here's what we got:

A kit of Yamamoto Senko baits.  6 colors in two different sizes (4" and 5").  Guaranteed to drive big bass wild.

A kit of offset hooks.  We went with the offbrand of these because ack, those suckers are expensive.  6 different sizes from 1 to 4/0, in three different colors.  (Not sure what difference color on a hook really makes, but I'm willing to give it a whirl.)

A kit of bullet sinkers.  Again, offbrand.  Sinkers are sinkers, right?

A pack of o-rings.  You may be saying to yourself, 'what the heck are o-rings for in fishing?'  Or maybe not.  For those saying it, they hold the artificial bait onto the hook for what they call 'whacky rig'.  Whacky rig is, I think, when you put the hook through the middle of the bait and let it dangle.  The o-ring keeps it from flying off when you cast, I guess.  Anyway, it was recommended so we bought some.

A pack of red beads.  For rigging.  I guess they keep the bullet weight from sliding down the line and bashing into your knot - thereby damaging the knot and making it less effective.  Plus, the red is attractive to fish (?).

A tackle bag with plastic divided boxes to store lures, etc.  It's quite handy and it's way lighter than the huge tackle box Hubs carries.  He had tons of fun sorting everything into it.  All the lures in their own little cubbies.  We also got two additional plastic boxes for additional lure storage.

Anyway, we're ready to go if the weather ever gets warm again.  Look out bass here we come!

2 comments:

  1. You might have a window of opportunity Tuesday or Wednesday, before temps plummet again. I'm just hoping it gets warm enough to melt the snow, the melted-snow-refroze-into-ice, and lets my garage door warm up enough not to stick. This is the first year we've had trouble with it doing that. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'll probably end up drowning worms somewhere around here. Probably won't catch a derned thing, though, because the fish have all gone deep. We'll see. Either way, I'll be out in nature getting some exercise rather than sitting on my buns. LOL

    ReplyDelete