Saturday, June 22, 2024

Saturday Snippet

Saturday Snippet... Hmm... sounds like a plan... But what to share?  Would you want a snip of something I'm currently working on?  

“You don’t even care that your brother is lying in a ditch somewhere.”  The voice coming over the phone line wasn’t an unwelcome one, but Duke Noble’s head was pounding after a night on the town and the shrillness of the tone was one he could’ve done without.

 “He’s not lying in a ditch somewhere, Mother.  He’s probably on a three-day bender,” Duke said as he tucked the receiver against his shoulder and lit another cigarette.

“But he hasn’t been in his apartment in weeks.”

“I’m sure you’re exaggerating.”

“There’s dust all over everything and the food in his refrigerator has spoiled.”

Duke sat up.  “What were you doing in Harry’s apartment, Mother?”

“I was worried.  And it wasn’t as if I was breaking and entering.  He gave me a key, after all.  I thought I’d just pop over and check on him.”

The thought of what his mother could’ve encountered upon entering Harry’s apartment almost made Duke spit his coffee across the room.  Harry was a died-in-the-wool bachelor and more than something of a lady’s man.  On any given day, all sorts of individual ladies could be found in various states of undress in his brother’s abode.

Or would you rather have something older?

A cute and fluffy bunny hopped across the meadow toward me.  His shiny button eyes twinkled and his tiny velvet nose wrinkled.  Next thing I knew, the little bastard whipped out a laser pistol and shot me in the ankle.  “That’s the last donation the ASPCA gets from me,” I thought.

Looking back, that’s how this whole thing got started.  One minute I’m enjoying a beautiful summer day, the next, I’m running for my life.  It was as if the whole species  of lagomorphs suddenly decided they’d had enough of being darling, and decided it was high time they took over the job of King of the Forest.

It wasn’t until much later I found out about the space ship.

(Everything is, of course, unedited. So cut me some slack.)

Do you guys need a lead in for these things - like what it's from or some kind of basis for the scene?  In the case of both of these, they're the beginnings of their Chapter Ones, so they really should already give you an idea.  :shrug:

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Duke! Hope you find Harry. And lagomorphs? I don't remember that one. The only context I need is a basics on the WIP--I'm familiar with Duke, having read his first book. The rabbits with lasers? Yeah, need a little more info, which is not to say that I didn't laugh while reading that snippit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second snippet is from a story I'm calling Evil Space Bunnies until I can find a better title.

      Delete
  2. The second one has me wondering what's happened and what's going to happen next!!

    ReplyDelete