Sunday, March 12, 2023

Sunday Update - Week 10

 Ten weeks in.  Hard to believe, eh?

Okay, so it was a week.  I did my 40 hours of work and not much else, but let's see if I can't turn this into something more interesting.

I wrote words yesterday!  514 of them all in a row.  Actual fiction words!  (Not work words, which I do all the time.)  I'm not sure what this is or whether I'll actually finish it, but I don't care.  I had a thought, I sat down and typed it out then added to it and the next thing I new, I had a whole page (single spaced because who the hell cares).  

Yesterday, I also exercised.  Shocking, I know.  I did 9 minutes on the exercise bike.  1.8 miles worth of pedaling at between 10mph and 13mph.  I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but I probably shouldn't have done even that much, because I am feeling it today.  Blerg.  Weight: 160.2

I usually do Wallyworld on Saturday, but the weather was so gross, I pushed my shopping back to Sunday.  I mean, the stuff falling from the sky was actually splatting.  Like raindrops with slush in them.  Gross.  I'll do the grocery thing later this morning - sore legs or not.  

I'm still reading that submarine book.  I'm about 2/3rds of the way through now.  I mentioned something in it that had happened in the '60s and Hubs remembered it, so I told him the story that wasn't made public back then.  Pretty cool.

Oo, yeah, I also made pinto beans yesterday.  I tried the slow-cooker method using unsoaked beans.  Put the dry beans in the pot, added enough liquid so it was about two inches above the beans, set it to low, and let it cook.  The instructions said 5-6 hours.  Dinner was 9 hours later and the beans were still not done.  11 hours.  They took 11 hours and that was only because I turned the pot on high for the last 3.  I won't be doing this method again.  Soak 'em overnight.  Boil 'em until they're soft and creamy - 45-60 minutes.  Voila.  

I did use beans in last night's dinner.  I took some of the slightly under-cooked beans and threw them into a pan with ground beef and green onions.  They mostly finished cooking that way.  Just a little more texture than beans ought to have.  I served it over rice.  It wasn't the taste sensation I was hoping for, but it wasn't bad.  Ya know, there are shockingly few recipes online for Pinto beans that aren't chili or refried beans.  Such a versatile little bean, you'd think there'd be scads of ways to fix it.  :shrug:  I'll figure something out.  They're cheap and they're chock-full of healthy shit.  

Today, I have to make granola bars.  After groceries because we're out of condensed milk.  

Exciting life I lead, eh?  

Anyway, that's it for me.  Nothing much else going on.  What was your Week 10 like?



1 comment:

  1. It was a week. Yay for words! Ugh on the splatty things from the sky. It was almost 80 here, though there was some wind. I was hoping you'd get nice weather and could get a hook wet, but yuck. Don't blame you for waiting on errands but yay for the "biking."

    Pinto beans and ham. With mustard and purple onions on top. Yummy. Sadly, I'm the only one who will eat it and making a pot of beans for one? Yeah, not happening. And yeah, weird that there aren't more recipes. Try searching "vintage" recipes. They were a staple way back when.

    I did very little last week. I am "running" a slow marathon read of a series with a new release from last week. My new words were from Moonstruck Mafia, not the current WIP. Still dealing with eye adjustments.

    Baseball and softball! I even forewent (is that a word?) OPL Friday and Saturday nights for sports. We always DVR the shows so I'll catch up.

    I did a little yardwork--LG did the bulk. Big trash pickup. We finally got around to taking out the dead holly bushes and the dying linden tree. I gathered up my brush pile of fallen branches from the various storms over the past year and dragged them to the pile on the curb. I always washed down the patio and walkway because poor Boone "goes" as soon as he gets out the door. He'll leave a trail that 10 feet long.

    Hate time change. I'm all fuzzy-brained today. Okay, I'm fuzzy-brained MOST days but today it is especially true.

    Not much else going on. Just waiting for the start of the Nicauraga vs. Isreal WBC game at 11. That and drinking coffee.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete