Sunday, January 8, 2023

Sunday Update - Week 1

Well, hello there.  The first week of 2023 is in the can.  Onward and upward.

No, I'm still not writing.  I'm not sure if I can while I'm working.  It feels like the entirety of my brain space is taken up with the job and my creativity has curled into the fetal position in a corner. Every once in a while it mumbles something to itself and I try to write that down, but I'm not getting more than a whisper of an idea here and there.  It's been a while since I even got that.  I think it's comatose now.  It's funny (in a warped-sense-of-humor way) that before I went back to work, I had scads of time and no money. Now I have money but no time.

Anyway, I'm working 40 hour weeks with 2.5 hrs of lunch.  Bills are getting paid, the fridge is full, and that's all that matters.  Downtime is for decompressing.

I am reading in my downtime.  I've already completed two books for 2023.  I set my goal for 50 this year.  I should be able to do that even if I find myself too tired to read here or there.  I hit St Vinnys yesterday and came home with 8 books for $6 - a Vince Flynn I didn't already have, a couple of Phyllis Whitneys, a couple Victoria Holts, an Anne Rice, a Rex Stout, and a Ngaio Marsh.  Yay.  I'm reading the Flynn now.

In baking news, for New Years, I made a chocolate cake with strawberry frosting, and I substituted wine for some of the water needed to make the cake.  It turned out a little denser, but was pretty tasty.  I also made beef bourgignon for dinner that day.  (Someone gave me a bottle of Pinot Noir, and since I don't drink, I figured I'd better cook with it.)  It was super yummy.  

As for weight, I clocked in the year at 165.2.  Then I made a pig of myself all week.  (Pizza and donuts at work, cake at home.)  I'm a bit afraid to step on the scale today LOL.  No activity to speak of.  Hubs and I did take a walk early in the week, which was good.  I need to up the activity level before my arteries clog and I give myself a coronary.  

I'm currently doing genealogy again.  Yesterday, I discovered my great-great grandpa had a middle name.  I found his wedding certificate - in German - and using both an online translator and a print-out of German characters as they equate to English, I parsed it out.  Yep, Adam August was my 2x grandfather and just plain Adam was my 3x grandfather.  Genealogy is like working a puzzle combined with solving a mystery.  Right up my alley.  I found out another grandfather had fought in the War of 1812.  And I got one branch of the tree all the way back to a man who was born in 1475 and his sons all have Sir in front of their names.  

Yes, I could be using that time to write, but refer back to the creative portion of my brain being comatose.  I'm all analytical now, so this pastime suits me.

Oh, and I got a new-to-me wool dress coat yesterday.  It's a Larry Levin, or something - which run like $150 and I got it for $8, so woohoo.  Mid-thigh with a cross-button thing.  All I care about is that it's warm and that it goes with my dressier work clothes - for those days when I can't wear my leather jacket.  (My leather has never seen the rain/snow and I don't want it to.)

Well, this update thing turned out way longer than I meant it to, but I wanted to address some things and I'm feeling chatty.  But I think I'm done now.  Have a great week wherever you are.  :hugs:


3 comments:

  1. Yeah...I hear you on that comatose creativity thing. And gumption. My gumption has bailed. I was going to make a Forrest Gump reference in there but my brain is just sitting there going, "Huh?"

    I'm down 5 pounds since Christmas. Go figure! Working keeps you away from snacking so I bet your weight reamins steady. Yay for the walk though. My weekly walk is the lengthy and breadth of Wallyworld. On a heavy grocery day, I figure its close to a mile.

    I'm about to come to an end of my relisten to a long series. The next book I want releases soon but not available in audio yet. Bummer. Not sure what I'll pick up after the next two books.

    I am going to email the eye clinic tomorrow to get an appointment to get my eyes examined, and likely set up follow-ons for cataract surgery. It's time.

    Not much else going on. First Saturday yesterday. LG was judging a high school oratory contest so no siren test for me, but I went north for lunch with the kids at our fave Mex place. Yummers! Last night was soccer and Stormy's team won! (First time this season so big deal!). I also napped.

    Since baseball season has started, Stormy comes here after school. He and his Big Daddy are good buds.

    And that's pretty much it for me. I'm going to do something today. Not sure what, but something. LOLOL Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :curtsies:
    We'll all have to start calling you Lady Beth.

    I love reading about your genealogy findings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your genealogy research, too! How cool you made it clear back to 1475.

    Congrats on scoring your new coat! It sounds wonderful!

    I discovered Krusteaz gluten-free box mixes in chocolate cake, honey cornbread, and Red Lobster Cheddar biscuits. I may need to hide from the scale until summer arrives and it's too hot to bake. ;-)

    I haven't seen my creativity in months. Maybe a couple years. I seem to spend all my free time reading these days.

    Worse, I discovered I can order paperbacks on eBay for half the price of Amazon. I *really* need to stay away from the bay! LOL!

    ReplyDelete