Saturday, January 7, 2023

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 1/7/23

 Welcome to the first Reading Wrap-up of the year.  Yay!  

I haven't gotten any new books this year.  That might change today. I'm thinking about stopping at the thrift stores to spend this Visa gift card that's burning a hole in my pocket.  Also yay.

Books Read: 

2) What Lies Beneath by Adam Croft (1/2/23) - Suspense* - 4 stars. New to me but not underappreciated. I saw this listed for free on a FB page I follow.
Review: "Interesting suspense... I just wanted more of it and less of the personal stuff. But that's me."

1) Snowflakes and Sparks by Sophia-Leigh Robbins (1/1/23) - Romance* - 4 stars. New to me but not underappreciated. Free off another FB page I follow.
No Review.

0) The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Silver James (1/1/23) - Holiday Paranomal Short* - 5 stars. Definitely not new to me, and not on Goodreads, so it can't get the appreciation it deserves.  Copied from the author's blog and sent to my Kindle for casual reading.  
Review: This story was awesome.  I love when Silver does her Christmas short stories - they're little slice of her worlds and they are always amazing.  If you aren't following Silver's blog... well, shame on you.

No DNFs.

Currently reading... A drama written in the fifties about an embezzler.  I'm not that far along in it.  It's interesting and the writing is pulling me forward, but I'm not quite sure what the point is yet.

What did you read to start 2023?  


1 comment:

  1. Awww. Thanks. And I plan to do two things with those stories--sooner and eventually. "Christmas Cat" will be a "free" addition to CROSSFIRE, since it happens the Christmas before that mission. Second, I'll eventually gather all the shorts into an anthology and actually publish them for like...you know...money. LOL Okay, my reading week!

    I've once again set a goal of 150 books. I've read 5 books, which puts me 4 books ahead of what I guess is their "normal" curve. LOL I'm doing a marathon relisten to the Kate Daniel world books by Ilona Andrews (wife and husband team of Ilona and Andrew Gordon). They're all UF/dystopian/romance/romantic elements. Amazing world building--and dystopian because MAGIC crashed back into the world and is warring with TECHNOLOGY. The day the magic hit, planes fell from the sky and 1/3 of the world's population perished because tech literally "died"--no electricity, combustion engines failed, the internet crashed, and then it started "eating" buildings. Coot stuff and since I'm now on my 6th or 7th reread/listen to the series, I'm a serious fan. I highly recommend it to UF fans. Anyway, this week's titles:

    5 - Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9) - 5 stars - Kate and Curren finally get married after "vanquishing" her father.

    4 - Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8) - 5 stars - Things are moving fast. Roland (Kate's father and aka Nimrod--yes THAT Nimrod as in the Tower of Babel) are coming to a head.

    3 - Magic Stars (Kate Daniels, #8.5, Grey Wolf, #1) 4 stars - Novella featuring Julie (Kate's "adopted" daughter) and Derek (Kate's "side-kick" werewolf she once called the Boy Wonder but he's grown up now.) This lays some important groundwork for up-coming plot points.

    2 - Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7) - 4.5 stars - Critical stuff happens in this one. Kate's memesis Hugh (her father's warlord) sets the Pack and the People up for war. Curran is away, along with many of the Pack's alphas. There's murder, kidnapping, torture, rescue, and Kate finally gets some of her own back. Not sure why I've never been able to give this one a full five stars. 🤷🏼‍♀️

    1 - Magic Tests (Kate Daniels, #5.3) 4 stars. This is another Julie-centric novella. She hates her school and Kate "sets" her up by assigning her a case (Kate runs a magic-centric detective agency now). Julie solves the mystery and makes friends and decides she really likes the new school.

    **Note: I finished MAGIC RISES (Kate Daniels #6) on 12/31 but can't remember if I included it in last weeks total. I think I did, but that was on a Saturday so who know? Anyway, I'm currently listening to IRON & MAGIC, which is a spin off but need to be read before the final book in the th original KD arc. I'l start on MAGIC TRIUMPHS either today or tomorrow, which is the final book in this cycle.

    Happy book shopping and reading this weekend/week!

    ReplyDelete