Saturday, January 28, 2023

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 1/27/23

This wasn't the most exciting week in reading.  In fact, I spent most of the week reading a book that I DNF'd yesterday.  

I got one new used paperback last Saturday.  It's a romantic suspense by an author I love.  I got another paperback new from Amazon (which I just discovered I actually read before - derp).  No new ebooks.

Books Read:

None

DNFs:

1/27/23 - paranormal... horror... I can never tell with Anne Rice.  Okay, so I DNF'd Tales of a Body Thief.  I had read it years ago, but as I was reading it this time, I wasn't quite as impressed as I remembered.  Lestat is whiny.  And by the time I reached page 138 or something, he was approaching too stupid to live.  I suppose when you've got a character who basically can't die and you're tasked with writing another book about him, you have to go somewhere.  :shrug:  I couldn't take it anymore so I closed the book and slipped it back on the shelf.  I'll keep it, but I don't think I'll read it again.  I need to buy The Vampire Lestat and The Queen of the Damned to complete the set and read those again.

Currently reading... a cute little cozy I picked up to round out my last Amazon order.  Apparently, I've read this before, but I don't remember it so whatever. LOL

What was on your reading plate this week?

1 comment:

  1. Last week was slow for me. I spent far more time trying to find something to read than I did actually listening to books. I did manage 2 books which puts me at 16 books on the year, 5 ahead of schedule to meet my GR 150 book goal.

    16 - WOLF (Stope Packs #1) - Rebecca Zanetti: Paranormal Romantic Suspense. 4 stars. Author well-known and I've read parts of several of her series. Interesting take on wolves and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Mia is a disgraced former FBI profiler in D.C. with a job as a department shrink with Seattle PD. Her mentor is now sheriff in a small town in eastern Washington state and he asks her to help on a case before she starts the new job. Levi is the oldest son (adopted) of the local bigwig/mine owner/major employer. Some interesting worldbuilding/lore. Some twists and turns. Sexy times aren't blatant. I got it for cheap with an Audible coupon so I'll probably check out the next book when it releases.

    15 - The Librarian of Crooked Lane (Glass Library, #1) - CJ Archer: Cozy Historical Mystery with Paranormal and Romantic Elements. 4 stars. New to me author but not unappreciated. Lovely narration, slow to develop, set in post-WWI London. Some people are magicians and can spell things--like ink magicians, art magicians, metal magicians, etc. Heroine has no magic. Sort of. Hero has none but his mother is packed with it. Also, he's the scion of the Glass family and his father's a lord. It took me awhile because it's a slow-to-develop story but I'm not sorry I listened to it. It's a lot of people's catnip, just not mine. I borrowed it from Hoopla.

    Currently reading SACRIFICED TO THE DRAGON. Free on Hoopla. This is after literally hours and hours of searching for a book (one reason it took so long to finish LIBRARIAN.) So far, it's okay but I'm glad I didn't pay for it. We'll see how it goes. Probably a good thing readling/listening is stalemated. Means more time spent on the WIP, right? 🙄 Happy reading, all!

    ReplyDelete