Friday, November 18, 2022

Thursday This n That - Late Again

Yep, totally forgot yesterday was Thursday.  That's okay, though, because yesterday morning, I was busy making this...


German chocolate cake.  My first.  My last.  I don't actually like German chocolate cake. But it's not for me anyway, so it's all good.  Next up will be a triple chocolate cake with strawberry frosting.  Cuz that's what mama needs.  LOL

I don't know.  It looks kinda short to me.  9" round pans instead of 8" round.  :shrug;  Eh, it eats the same.  Hey, it was my first layer cake in like 25 years.  Cut me some slack. LOL

I'm still not quite sure how I'm going to transport it.  :shrug:  As long as it doesn't slide around in the car and I don't drop it in the parking lot, it's all good.

Anyhooway... 

It snowed last night.  I haven't looked yet, but Hubs told me, so it must be true.  Blerg.

I'm reading Time of the Hunter's Moon by Victoria Holt.  One of my favorite books from my youth is by Victoria Holt - The King of the Castle - so I snagged this when I saw it at the thrift store.  Do I love it? Not so much.  I mean, it's okay, but it's not thrilling me the way the other book did.  Maybe I'm just older and less likely to be thrilled.  

On my way to work on the other morning, I saw a doe in the road not too far from the house, so I slowed down to a crawl.  She moved and then another doe walked out of the woods into the road.  Still crawled.  She moved off.  Seconds later, a buck popped out of the woods, so I stopped.  He stood on the side of the road staring at me. Finally I started to crawl forward again and he startled like my slowly moving car had spooked him and he raced across the road in front of me.  THIS this is why when you see one deer cross the road, you never assume it's alone.  If I had I would've hit that buck.  

He was magnificent, by the way.

Okay, I think I'll call it.  I've gotta get cleaned up and ready for work now.  Plus, I've run out of things to say and I still have a couple blogs to visit.  Later days, dudes.



3 comments:

  1. Yeah, 8" pans might have been better but I bet it tastes yummy. Since you aren't a fan of coconut, I can see why German Chocolate isn't a fave. I like it occasionally but usually in a restaurant or bakery. I bet your co-worker is appreciative!

    And yeah, especially with the time change, deer are active am/pm right as it begins to get light or go dark. And they are hard to see. I had an old ranger tell me once that if you came up to a deer in the road and you couldn't stop, shut off your headlights and lay on the horn. They get hypnotised by the light, which is why spotlight hunting is illegal. I've never tried it so I can't verify if it's the truth or not.

    Our snow was a fizzle. Figures. But it's freaking COLD!

    Thanks for the head's up on bad link for UNDER THE ASSASSIN'S MOON. It's fixed now. I had a brain farc (as in inFARCtion, not fart, though I probably had one of those too.)

    That was pretty much the sum total of my week--getting that puppy finished, formatted, and published. I did find ONE freaking typo when I uploaded to the 'Zon, which I could fix for them but have to wait before I can update on D2D. I left the N out of "opening" so it came out "opeing." 🤦🏼‍♀️ I had reasons for doing things "backwards" for me ('Zon first so I can see typos in review) and then D2D but I wanted the UBL for my post yesterday. 🙄

    There's a whole different set of Wallyworld People on Thursdays. It was interesting. I think I'll stick to my usual Monday/Tuesday routine though.

    And that's my this for the week! TGIF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that cake looks sooo good. German chocolate was my dad's favorite. Me? Give me double chocolate fudge! LOL!

    Mom and I were walking yesterday when a coyote crossed the road in front of us, not 200 yards away. It barely looked at us and didn't hurry up at all. I guess two old ladies aren't particularly scary. ;-)
    It was a beautiful animal. I'd be proud to own a dog that pretty. But I hope it didn't go after the neighbor's chickens!

    I loved Victoria Holt when I was a kid. Now I'm probably too old and cynical. Maybe not. After all, I still love Harry Potter. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for your cake! It will taste great! My standard is 8 inch pans, but I also use six inch which makes a dramatically tall cake, then I torte the layers to make it super dramatic -- but that's just for fun. Your cake looks like a winner to me!

    Good call on slowing to a crawl when you spotted the deer!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete