Sunday, September 27, 2020

Sunday Update - Week 38 or Something

 :crawls out from under her rock:  Ugh.  Good morning   Last night was a pip, lemme tell ya.  Couldn't get to sleep, then after I did, the phone rang at 'oh, derp thirty' and while it was a butt-dial, it startled me enough so I couldn't get back to sleep.  This is why I still have a flip-phone*, folks.  No chance of accidentally dialing anyone in the middle of the night.  Of course, the middle of the night is when I'm sleeping, so no worries of that anyway.  

And I didn't set this post up before I went to bed, so here I am.  Under-caffeinated, groggy, and grumpy.

Despite giving myself a pep-talk and shouting nasty things at myself, I still didn't get off my ass.  I entered three pages worth of notes so far.  Today has to be better.  I'm under a deadline now.  A self-imposed deadline, sure, but it's a still a deadline.  Except I also have some spreadsheet stuff that ought to be sent back to the office before tomorrow morning. 

I didn't finish any books in time for yesterday's reading wrap-up, but I did finish one yesterday afternoon.  Go me?  

In baking news, I made Romanian apple cake.  Recipe below.  We're out of oatmeal cookies, so I should make those today.  We'll see.

Let's not talk about activity.  I did a hard target walk on Monday that overdid it for me and I spent the rest of the week cowering.  Weight: 178.4, which is down about a pound from last week.

In other news, I broke my own rule about no-Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving, and bought a tub of eggnog ice cream.  Don't judge me.  It was a necessary bright spot in an otherwise depressing Wallyworld excursion.  It's hard to stay cheery with a mask on.  Which, I'm beginning to think, is their point.  Speaking of masks, they're littered all over the Wallyworld parking lot now.  People are pigs.

The migration is starting to bring us new birds.  Something different was singing his little brains out the other day.  Not sure what he was, but I love seeing and hearing new birds.  Haven't seen an eagle yet, but they'll be here shortly.

The fawns have no spots anymore.  And the bucks have lost their velvet.  The does are getting jumpy.  Soon, the rut will begin and start the cycle of life all over again.

Okay, that's enough out of me this morning.  What's up with you?  :wanders off to slug down more coffee:

*Well, part of the reason. The rest of the reason is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  My flip-phone ain't broke, so why buy a new one?

Recipe:

Romanian Apple Cake

5 large (9 small) apples
3 eggs
1 ½ cups sugar
¾ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 T vanilla
2 cups flour

Peel, core, and cut apples into large chunks (about 1”).  Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease 9x13” cake pan.  Beat together eggs and sugar until frothy.  Blend in oil, baking soda, vanilla, and cinnamon.  By quarters, gently stir in flour until just combined.  Fold in apple chunks.  Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or eat plain later.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! And yeah...this weekend was. The kids had car trouble and Only had mini-session photo shoots set up and needed to haul a loveseat to an area park. I drove up EARLY Saturday morning so she could have Drover. Sadly, it meant driving in the dark going and coming back as she wasn't done until 7:30 p.m. I was a little white-knuckled by the time I got home last night.

    Made some progress on Night Wish. I'm "deleting" scenes that don't seem to fit the current events. I'm still pushing 60K so no loss, especially as I can use them later in other books.

    Gotta hit Wallyworld today. Fun time. Not.

    Loki's in the window watching the bird feeder. Finally. The sparrow who live in the Martin house have discovered it.

    Today should be the last really warm day of "extended summer." Cold front comes through this afternoon. I'll probably switch the bed linens from summer to winter as tomorrow's high is supposed to be only 70 with lows down in the 40-50s range. Yay!

    Boone says he needs out so later, tater! Here's to a week filled with possibilities for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake sounds so good!

    My rock is in the same neighborhood as yours. My excuse is I was out dad-sitting most of the week. Just a few hours a day, but it still messed up my schedule. More to come next week, but only two days instead of four.

    I gave up my cell phone years ago, and getting rid of it was such a relief. Now the house phone goes to the answering machine, so I can screen calls. Tooooo many scammers and telemarketers!

    ReplyDelete