Thursday, May 26, 2022

Thursday This n That

I've been watching old reruns of the show EMERGENCY!  If you're not familiar with it, it's from the early '70s and it's about paramedics in LA.  I mean, there are doctors and a nurse that also feature prominently, plus firefighters in secondary roles, but the two main characters are paramedics.   John is a bachelor and kind of a goof, Roy is a family man and kind of a stabilizing influence.  (When I was a little girl, I LOVED this show, and I had a major tot crush on Johnny.)  Other than that, I don't know a damn thing about them and I'm happy with that.  It's got some tense moments and some light moments.  Not much that's too deep.  For the most part, it's one and done.  And every episode is encapsulated.  No long running side stories.  No deep backstory stuff that haunts the characters.  If it touches on an issue - like say child abuse - it says it's piece and then let's it go.  Hell, the other night, Johnny was run over by a drunk driver who fled the scene.  It was tense until he got out of surgery and then it was light.  One short offhand comment about 'the police got that guy who hit John' and they were done with it.  I'm enjoying the show mightily.  If you get FETV, it's on at 10pm Eastern - 9 Central, which means I'm staying up late these days.

Speaking of staying up late, I can't sleep anyway, so why not watch a little something amusing?

Another show I've been addicted to lately is MOM.  I'm not sure why.  It supposed to be a sitcom, but it is often not funny.  I mean, there are bits that are hilarious, but other bits that are heartrending.  It's a total change from Emergency!, let me tell ya.   

Yeah, I've been watching a lot of TV lately.  Part of the reason is that it keeps me away from the computer - which keeps me away from both current events and the need to smoke many many cigarettes.  The other part is it distracts me from all the other crap going on in the world.  Although, they do keep trying to insert irritating issue stuff in the commercials.  Thank goodness for mute, eh?

I spend a lot of time not leaving the house lately.  If I have to go someplace, I do it, so I'm not like a shut-in or anything, but I'm not inclined otherwise.  I keep meaning to go take a walk, but meh.  I have yardwork to do, too, but also meh.  I really need to break that cycle.  Unfortunately, it's raining.  AGAIN.  Enough with the rain already.  If this keeps up, it'll be the wettest month since we moved here.  We were just over 10 inches for the month before this latest batch of sky water.  And we still have 6 days left.  Blerg.

When I was at the mechanics getting my new brakes adjusted, I brought a book, but instead of reading, I spent the whole hour or so in deep conversation with the 2-yr-old daughter of the mechanic.  She was awesome.  I only understood about half of the words she was saying, but like I said, awesome.  Once she warmed up to me, she had to show me everything her mama had packed for her to play with.  And by the way, according to her, the cow says baa.  So does the sheep.  She really made my day.  And with the world taking a shit the way it is, it was nice to find a bright spot.  Thinking about her now still makes me grin.  

Anyway, that's it for me today.  Got anything on your end to yatter about?

1 comment:

  1. Rain here too. Almost 7" but supposed to clear by afternoon, which is good because OSU plays the first game of their super regional at 8:30 tonight. I'll have to figure out a way to stay awake. We desperately needed it so no complaints. Plus, the record cool temps is good for my electric bill.

    Emergency. Squad 51. Now that's a throwback. I had the hots for Dr. Brackett who ran the ER department at the hospital. He was played by Robert Fuller, who was a "cowboy" actor from Wagon Train and Laramie. It was cutting edge at the time due to the the whole "paramedics can give medicine with doctor permission" hence the radio hootup with Rampart General. You'd be surprised at how many fire departments suddenly had a Squad 51 even though they didn't have a Station 51.

    Also, CHiPS. Just sayin'...

    Peopling has been hard lately so I get it.

    I'm just over halfway on revisions in UNDER THE ASSASSIN'S MOON. Crossing fingers I finish today but I do have to get out and people. Wallyword didn't have the bird seed I wanted so I have to hit Ace today. And of course, Jake and I will have to hit Starbucks because...well...because!

    I've been watching baseball/softball, Portals to Hell, Expendition Unknown and ExpeditionX, and To Catch a Smuggler. Some are DVR'd. Some are live.

    OMG! SUNSHINE!!!!! The sun just came out. It's almost a little scary.

    I crashed yesterday afternoon. Went to bed, fell asleep, skipped dinner, managed to wake up to feed the dogs, fell back asleep. Luckily, LG did the same thing. Queston becomes, do I serve the BBQ sandwiches planned for last night tonight or the shrimp and fried clams previously planned for this evening? Decisions, decisions.

    On that note, I need more coffee, to let Jake in, and then to work. Later, tater.

    ReplyDelete