Thursday, February 24, 2022

Thursday This n That

Still not dead.  

Yesterday, Hubs got the idea to cover the car ahead of the impending ice doom.  We used the boat cover (boat don't need it... it's in the garage with our Jeep).  While we were in the process of putting the cover on Cally Cavalier, a big blue RAV (Rural Assault Vehicle... looked like a little Humvee) pulled into the driveway.  She was looking for her little dog.  I recognized the car as one I'd seen parked in the newly-sold house here, so yay, met the new neighbor.  She seems nice.  Oh, and Hubs had to walk over to turn on the heater in the well house, so he stopped at her house to make sure she found her little dog.  She did.  Happy ending.  Yay.

Not sure yet if we got any ice yet, but we still have power, so yay.  We are as prepped for potential power outages as we can be at this point.  And Cally is about as wrapped against ice as we could make her.  Especially considering she's wearing a camouflage cover designed to be on a 15' boat.  I should take a pic of her in her new outfit.  (Yes, I talk about my car like it's a person.  I've had her longer than Hubs.)  

In the middle of the sleet-pounding we were taking yesterday, I looked out the window to see two deer standing in the woods, covered in white.  Poor babies.  Hubs went out to feed them.  He's such a nice guy.  He put out extra rations for the birds, too.  

Speaking of birds, we had a bunch of them hiding out on our covered porch during the worst of it.  Poor babies.  Winter is hard on animals, especially here where they aren't really used to it.  

Shit's happening in the world and I don't really want to talk about it.  Or think about it.  

I had to make a call to customer service for a nationally known company.  The gal I got barely spoke English.  Like I could understand maybe one in ten words out of her mouth.  I kept asking her to repeat stuff and she'd say it louder, but it was still mostly unintelligible.  It was like talking to a cricket on crack.  Chirp chirpchirpchirp CHIRP! CHIRPCHIRPCHIRPCHIRP.  I had called to ASK what would happen IF I closed my account - like timeframe and billing, etc.  Before I could figure out what she was saying, she closed my account.  I was all like 'NO NO NO', but it was already done.  Just as well, I guess.  I don't want to do business with a company like that anymore anyway.  The next call was to see if I could set up an account with a different company - now on super short notice so I don't have any break in services.  When the gal there answered the phone, I could've wept for joy because she spoke English.  She set me up and there's won't be any break.  Yay.  Would've sucked if she'd told me I had to wait a month.  

You know, I get why companies send their phone trees overseas.  But for pitysakes, find workers who can speak the language your customers use.  You wouldn't hire ME for a customer service line for Mexican customers, would you?  No habla.  (And no, the above cricket wasn't speaking Spanish.  It was just an example.)

I snagged a bucket of cheap ice cream the other day.  Neapolitan.  The last bucket the store had at a price I was willing to pay.  It's pretty tasty... but it has a weird after residue.  Like fat coating the roof of my mouth.  Sorry, that sounds gross.  But it's true.  I'll eat it all, of course, but I won't be buying that brand again.  Ever.

Okay, I should probably wander off to other parts of the web.  Have a great day.  And feel free to leave your this and that if you're so inclined.  



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad your neighbor got her dog back. It's very hard on pets when they move. They don't get a chance to adequately scent their area and if they wander too far, all of a sudden they're lost.

    I've seen that happen a couple of times with new neighbors. I watch mine like a hawk when we move. They're always on leash until they recognize their new plot of land.

    PS Life is too short for cheap ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for power, meeting neighbors, finding puppers, and having heat on the well so water continues to pump in the neighborhood. Boo on the world. I just...yeah. Moving on.

    I love dealing with D2D customer service. They not only speak English, they all leave in the metro area. LOL Yes, their home office is just a couple of miles away. The 'Zon? I refuse to call and do it by email and/or chat so I have a written record and I can always tell by the language usuage and "names" when I've been dumped overseas.

    It's frigied here and yeah, I worry about the ferals, birds, squirrels and other wildlife. I have shelter on the porch for the ferals. I trudge out and clear off feeders and spaces for the birds and squirrels. Then I come in and stand in front of the one wall heater I have lit in the Florida room because there are no heat vents out there and it's always colder out there plus the washer and hot water tank lines are on the heater wall shared with the garage.

    Brain didn't want to brain yesterday. After rewriting two paragraphs seven different ways and actually looking up the definitions (and differences) between a facepalm and a headdesk, I gave up on any pretense of writing. Maybe today will be better.

    I really don't like the cold. Just sayhin'...

    Fixed shepherds' pie last night. It's easy and good on a frigid, icy night. Tonight, I'm looking at chicken parm with spaghetti and hot rolls. Also easy because it's Stouffers. LOLOL

    Not much else in my world. We don't plan to get out any time soon. I am re-listening to a book (second book in the series released Tuesday) and I'm actually enjoying it, mostly. At least I'm listening to it when I'm not doing something that requires full brain power, like trying to write.

    Stay snug and warm! Later, tater.

    ReplyDelete