Friday, February 11, 2022

Chaos Diaries

It's been a long time since I did a Chaos Diaries post, but I figured this fit.

I went to Wallyworld yesterday.  It was a fuckin' zoo.  And the price of damn near everything had jumped since my last visit.

Furnace filters... the kind I usually buy at $8+ are now $11+.  (I got a lesser filter for $4+.)

Burger...  90% lean is up to about $5.60 a pound.  

TP... a 12 pack of the Great Value is over $11.

Printer cartridges... the smallest single black is over $21 now.

Suet... the 8-pack of good stuff is almost $10, up from just under $7  (I bought 4 cheap singles at $1.22 each - they used to be 98c.)

To ameliorate the cost of those more expensive things I HAD to buy, I went cheap on some other stuff, but man.  I still walked out with less and paid more.

Going cheap, I bought chicken thighs instead of breasts.  And a whole chicken to roast.  I found pork roast on sale!  Got a huge one that I can cut into easily 5 meals.  They were out of pork burger, which I've been buying because beef is so damn expensive.  I need to buy a meat grinder, I guess.

They were also out of a lot of stuff.  The antacids I usually buy?  Nope.  Picked up a big jug of a different flavor.  (And the price of THAT was up.)  The tissues were almost gone.  I'm buying the cheap stuff because the name brand is pricey, and I got two of the last four boxes.  So many empty spots on the shelves that the cashier said a friend had remarked 'the grocery stores need to go to a grocery store'.

On the upside, I was nice to an assistant manager who was looking particularly harried and she opened a lane just for me.  Another gal checked me out and then went on her merry way.  Sometimes it's the little things.

So, I leave the Big W and go to the feed store.  They're out of whole corn.  Again.  Still $2 higher than I was buying it a year ago.  I ended up getting chopped corn for $9.55 a bag.  (10c more than whole.)  I also bought a bag of birdseed.  The 25 lb bag of cheap seed was nearly as much as a 50 lb bag of sunflower seeds used to be.  

I'm sure you're all facing the same stuff.  I'm just venting.  Or commiserating.  And I'm longing for a couple years ago before the Chaos started, before we got our new feckless leader, when things were looking up and the price of everything was going down.  

Which reminds me... gas was $3.06 a gallon yesterday.  Up from $2.99 last week.  Up Up Up from the $1.78 I was paying prior to inauguration day last year.  Hubs just said it's gonna keep going up for a while here yet.  So hang onto your asses.

But it's not President Sniffy's fault.

2 comments:

  1. I've been on a moratorium of shopping the last few weeks. I stocked up last year before the really big price jumps, but I still watch prices like it were a ticker tape.

    Unbelievable.

    There is no way in hell that guy got into office without voter fraud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. Total chaos. Parents and truckers are terrorists. The cartels are in charge of our southern border. Masks don't work, children are 0.001% in "danger" of contracting Covid and NYC is loosening indoor mask mandates for adults but kids still have to wear masks everywhere. EVEN ON THE FRIGGIN' PLAYGROUND!

    The world is crazy and if you try to add some sanity, the crazies do their best to cancel you!

    Yes, I AM braining on lack of sleep and a chaotic morning. Also, I'm spending $20-40 more a week providing I can find what I'm looking for or a reasonable facisimle. And that's not really buying meat. Uncle Fix-It has a deal with a rancher who butchers his own so buys "wholesale." We get mostly hamburger but a brisket, roast, or steaks once in awhile. Otherwise, I shudder to think what the cost would be. Birdseed is insane. Trying to find dog and cat food is hard.

    But hey, the sun is shining, I have two working toilets now (a third to be replaced Monday), I don't have to face the public today--our plumber was a geeky gamer dude who wanted to be a Marine once upon a time. Yeah...weird morning I tell you! Have a great rest of the day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete