Saturday, August 3, 2019

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 8/3/19

Hello again.

This past week, I downloaded 4 new ebooks - the romance I'm currently reading, UF, MG fantasy, and mystery.  I still have 3 left unread on my Kindle - 2 UF and a paranormal mystery.  Plus the paranormal mystery I started and still want to go back to.

Books read:

70) A Hopeless Murder by Daniel Carson (8/1/19) - Cozy Mystery*# - 4 stars.  New to me and underappreciated as far as reviews go on Goodreads.  Over 50 GR ratings and over 50 Amazon reviews.  Free off the ENT newsletter.
Review: "Cute and fun."  I mean, it was a nice book and a good distraction, but nothing really exciting me to write more of a review, ya know?

69) All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot (7/31/19) - Memoir - 5 stars.  Not new to me or underappreciated.  50c at the thrift store.
No Review.  If you haven't read these, though, they are nice books.

DNFs:

7/28/19 - political/medical thriller by a well-known SF author.  Got this one at a 6/$1 sale at one of the thrift stores.  I was reading along, making progress, when I woke up Sunday morning and realized I no longer cared.  No real hero standing out, no one to root for.  Not even a real villain I could root against.   All of which made the DNF kind of disappointing since I spent about 200 pages worth of my time already.  Still, stopping then was better than wasting another 300+ pages of my time.  I expected this would be a keeper, but it's going to St. Vinny's.

Currently reading... a romance set in Australia.  So good, so far.  I even stayed up late last night reading it, but then the need for sleep took over, so I didn't finish it.  What can I say? I'm a sucker for Australian romances. 

What's been on your reading menu this week? 

1 comment:

  1. I finished up with the final books in two interconnected series by Suzanne Wright, paranormal shifters with suspense. None of her books are underappreciated. I enjoyed one of the last books more than the other. Both seemed like she was ready to get the series done and move on. Both were free on KU but I paid $1.99 for the audio of one. The other I had to read on my Kindle.

    I went to my "Want to Read" list on GR and grabbed the audio version of Lisa Klepyas's SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME, Regency Romance, not underappreciated, new-to-me author. Hero was a Bow Street Runner, heroine was an amnesiac rescured from the Thames. Some good tropes, even if the twists were apparent. It was fun and got 4 stars. The setting with the Runners put me in mind of a book I read back in college about a Bow Street Runner. I was delighted to discover BLACKSTONE is available on KU so I'm reading it again. It's history mystery, no romance, and while I remember it with fondness (obviously since it's be 40 years!) I'm leaving current opinion open until I finish it. I'm about 1/3 of the way in and enjoying it.

    I'm in desperate search of an audio book to listen to. There's nothing I want to buy and the few that piqued interest aren't available through the library. I hate buying an audio book, listening to it and then returning it but I seldom buy audio unless I'm certain I'll put it on my keeper shelf for relistening pleasure. Ah well. I'll keep digging for something.

    ReplyDelete