Saturday, April 13, 2019

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 4/13/19

Hello again.  Typical reading week here - a couple books finished (one of which was pretty long - the other I finished in a couple hours) and another started.  Let's see how it shook out...

No new books this week.  I'm down to 6 unread ebooks, though, so I'm making progress and should start downloading books again soon. 

Books read:

 29) Lights, Camera, Action by Heather Silvio (4/10/19) - Paranormal Mystery/Romance*# - 4 stars.  New to me and underappreciated.  Found it on the Kindle/Book Club for 99c.
Review: "Fun little paranormal mystery/romance."

28) Timothy Williams Demon Hunter by Iestyn Long (4/8/19) - MG UF*# - 5 stars.  New to me and underappreciated.  Picked it up off the 'Free Kindle Books' FB page.
Review: "A thoroughly enjoyable story of the fight between good and evil, with a bit of tongue and cheek to cut the seriousness of the issue. I did go into this thinking it would be a Middle Grade novel - the main character is 13 - but partway in, I realized that perhaps this is a bit too gritty and gruesome for the age range. There were bits that had me cringing at the thought middle grade kids might be reading this without some kind of parental guidance. Personally, I loved the historical parts, but again, not necessarily for kids. You'll have to decide for yourself. Definitely loads to talk about with your kids if you read it first and then pass it on to them."
Note:  After I posted this review, the author added a disclaimer to his marketing efforts about this being PG-13.  Totally not my intention.  I just wanted readers to walk into it with their eyes open, so they don't get blindsided and end up leaving this wonderful book bad reviews. 

DNFs:

4/11/19 - Romantic Suspense.  This was a hardcopy I picked up at St. Vinny's for 50c of an older story by an author I usually like, but I didn't make it past the beginning of chapter 3.  The characters were annoying me.  And I realize it was just me.  Which is why I don't give titles and names in the DNF section.

Currently reading: This week, I organized all my Agatha Christie paperbacks by MC.  Then I sat down to read the very first book she'd ever published.  Nothing quite like going back to the old masters. =o)

What have you been reading?  Anything good?

2 comments:

  1. I listened to books this week. They all sort of blended together. I'm 8 books into the BDB series. They're...I'm not sure. I've become attached to some of the characters and so I'm sort of skimming/not listening to long passages. I mean...I was on the waiting list for them and they finally hit so...yeah.

    Also went back and did a relisten/listen to a series by a favorite author. She writes dark and sexy and her "Unfinished Heros" all have horrible pasts. I was about to give up on the last book at about 44% but picked it up on the Kindle and dang if I didn't stay up way late finishing the darn thing. I don't know why the the audio version wasn't working for me. Not sure if it was the narrator or if the book just picked up steam at the half-way mark. *shrug*

    I'm slugging on through the rest of BDB books until something else catches my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost sounds as if MG book is categorized wrong in the metadata? Or being promoted as MG when it shouldn't be.

    I read "Annihilation" (I know...an unusual choice for me) and found it interesting. I'm reading something now that's much less interesting (a literary story of the end of a marriage) and I'm 50% through and feeling like I don't want to finish it. I may just skim because I do want to find out what happens in the end. It was mis-marketed itself as similar to 'Gone Girl'...whoever did that at the publisher did the book a tremendous disservice. Like you, I started it with totally different expectations. Not a mystery.

    ReplyDelete