Sunday, February 26, 2023

Sunday Update - Week 8

Eight weeks into the new year.  How 'bout that?  I wouldn't have thought we were past week 5.  The days are just flying by.  Derp.

Things are pretty much the same here.  No writing.  Nothing writerly.  Work.  Home.  Meh.

I didn't finish any books this past week.  I'm still working on that NF about the submarines.  It's pretty interesting, but not a fast read.

I got some activity this week.  I swept the office.  I went for a walk.  I did some minimal lifting.  Weight: 158.8.  

In cooking news, for shits and giggles, I'm trying this new low-sodium thing.  Lord knows, I probably eat way too much sodium as a general rule.  But I do like my snacks.  (Did I tell ya about the nacho cheese pretzels I found? OMG, so yummy.)  So I'm cutting back where I can control the sodium.  Yesterday I made a low-sodium spaghetti sauce.  It's only about 165 mg per serving.  (Yes, that is low.  One freakin' chocolate cupcake from Wallyworld has 310 mg, for pitysakes.)   Anyway, the sauce was okay.  It needed salt.  I added some parm, which helped.  I also made a salt-free vinaigrette which I thought was yummy.   I'm not sure how long the low-salt thing will last, but it's keeping me out of trouble for now.  ;o)

(Before you ask, I didn't mean health trouble.  I meant this is keeping me occupied.)

I was out at the feed store yesterday and they were super busy, so while I waited for my order to be filled, I sat on the loading dock and played with their kitties.  I love the gray one.  She's awesome.  I picked her up and put her on my lap.  She has the softest purr I've heard (or hardly heard) from a cat.  The calico kitty, who's usually standoffish, decided she wanted in on the action and started head-butting me.  So I had both hands going for a while there, petting them both.  Finally, calico had enough and flopped down behind me, pressed up against my back.  Awwww.  KITTIES!

The eagles are still here.  For how much longer, I don't know.  We're still getting a boatload of deer.  Thankfully, things are starting to green up around here, so maybe the deer will start finding alternate food sources.  My daffodils are loaded with leaves.  My hyacinths have buds and are starting to shoot them up.  Looks like all the purple ones survived and none of the pink ones.  Oh, well.  The lilac has leaf buds.  Spring is coming.  Yay.

Other than that, life is pretty bland around here.  How are things in your neck of the woods?



2 comments:

  1. Yay for kitties! Yay for experiments. You might try celery salt. I use it a lot intead of regular salt. And I use sea salt when I use regular salt. Not sure if there's a sodium level difference or not. LOL I never developed a taste for the fake salt due to the lingering aftertaste so I just cut back and use other spices.

    It's almost March. This year's trip around the sun for me is almost over. Ugh. REALLLY fealing my age these days. Ah well.

    Visual acuity comes and goes. Close up is the worst "offender" and I do have to remind myself to look up over the top of my borrowed readers to stare out the window with my new-normal distance vision. That still freaks me out a bit. Too bad my current view includes the half-full slide-off dumpster at the empty house across the street. Not sure what's going on. It was in foreclosure.

    BASEBALL! SOFTBALL!!!! On TV and radio!!!! And I can actually see the "footer" with the score, outs, diamond on base graphic and pitchter/hitter info. Yay!!!!

    Supposed to have severe weather this evening. Ugh.

    I forgot to feed the birds yesterday. I hope they'll come back today.

    I wrote like 250 words this week. Hey, more than week before. I really need to get back in that saddle. With the chance I could lose all my sight, and with some many stories left untold, I should be writing like a demon but the depression is hitting a little close to home. I gotta get over that ASAP. Hopefully, Wednesday follow-up appoiuntment will bring better news.

    Now I need more coffee and to give the eyes a rest from close-up stuffs. Have a great week, and keep experimenting! Also, I hope you find a good book that catches your attention and you devour it! Later, tater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing is blooming in my yard, or even leafing out, but one of my neighbor's fruit trees is blooming. I so love fruit tree blossoms!

    When I eat too much salt, my blood pressure goes WAY up, so I'm trying to cut back. I don't mind the taste of potassium & sodium, but I only use it in stuff with fairly strong flavors. Like spaghetti sauce. ;-)

    Oh, KITTENS! My neighbor has two tiny kittens now because somebody abandoned them at her daughter's house. Such mean people! They are BW (black and white) and Grayton. Such cuties!

    That gray kitten really, really wants to go home with you! Hey, you're still young! (I'm waaaaay too old for a kitten. A little monster named Cleo is often more than I can handle. Until she sits in my lap and purrs and purrs. :-)

    ReplyDelete