Saturday, October 5, 2019

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 10/5/19

Not the best of reading weeks again.  I kept trying to find something to read, though.  Hard going and I am beginning to despair of finding anything new.  In times like these, I resort to old standbys, so don't be surprised to see me hitting the old crime paperbacks on next week's wrap-up.

No new ebooks.  I did stop at a thrift store, though, and came home with four paperbacks - All Things Wise and Wonderful, an Agatha Christie for the collection, another Helen McInnes, and a Nelson DeMille (who a friend of mine has recommended, so we'll see).

Books Read:

91) Last Call for Peregrine Walpole by Steven Elvy (9/30/19) - Mystery*# - 4 stars.  New to me and underappreciated.  Free off the 'Kindle Krazy! Authors Actively Seeking Readers' FB group.
Review: "Cute. I loved the nostalgia and the name dropping of all those older actors and roles was fun. Not the sharpest mystery, but it was a good distraction and the whodunnit was pretty well hidden until the reveal."

DNFs:

10/3/19 - a women's fiction 33c hardcover.  I didn't actually start this.  I read the jacket copy and decided I wasn't in the mood, so I set it aside.

10/3/19 - Cozy mystery.  Free.  The heroine was too stupid to live.  I realize she had to be a little stupid for the premise to work, but come on.

10/2/19 - Suspense.  33c hardcover.  One in a series I have enjoyed in the past, but I think this one was so far past what I've already read it was meaningless to me and so far along in the series that I think the author was looking for ways to make it fresh and interesting but just fell flat.

9/29/19 - MG Adventure.  17c.  Yeah, not what I thought it was going to be when I picked it up at the thrift store.

9/28/19 - SF.  Free.  Yeah, it didn't resolve the whole thing I was talking about on Sunday with the lack of a clear protagonist or a solid idea of who to root for in this galactic war by the time I reached 22%.  Very well written otherwise, though.  It felt bad about DNFing it, but I couldn't find anything to make me care.  =o(

Currently reading...  a strange paranormal thing.  Amazon has it in Paranormal/UF and Dark Fantasy.  It's kind of enthralling, even if I can't really put my finger on what it is.  I was over halfway through by bedtime last night, so I should finish it today.  If I don't throw it up against a proverbial wall, that is.  We'll see what the author does with it.  I really hope it finishes well.

How did your reading week go?  Anything good?  

2 comments:

  1. I'm plowing my way through a fantasy. Slowly. It's on the edge of being DNFd. If I don't get interested by Monday night, it's going back to the used-book store on Tuesday.

    Hmm. If I don't get into it tonight, I think I'll give up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished the Singh series with the latest book, ARCHANGEL'S WAR. Not unknown nor underappreciated. 5 stars! Then I dragged out two books last read in 2015. Russian gansters in Houston. And mostly Hispanic heroines. Really sexy. Sorta fun. And I'd picked up the audio books somewhere along the way. Wish I had the fundage for the rest in the series. Ah well.

    Currently listening to one from the library, a Kristen Ashley relisten, SWEET DREAMS. Not much out there blowing up my reading skirts. I'm in the same sort of reading slump that I am writing. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete