Saturday, March 2, 2019

Saturday Reading Wrap-up - 3/2/19

It's time again for another reading wrap-up.  I wish I could've read more, but the DNFs put me behind.

Books Obtained: None this week.  I did get two suspenses that I forgot to mention last week.

Recently obtained ebooks left to read: a mystery, a SF, a paranormal suspense, and a thriller.

Books Read:

18) The Holly House Mystery (Inspector Chance #1.5) by John Bainbridge (3/1/19) - Mystery*2 - 5 stars.  Not new to me, but an underappreciated 2nd book.  Heard about the sale on this one from the FB Group 'Mystery & Thriller Publicity and Book Club'.  99c.
Review: " First off, I didn't realize this was a novella until about 3/4 of the way through, which was kind of disappointing. Other than that, it was a truly enjoyable story that I wished would've been longer."

17) The Glass Flame by Phyllis Whitney (2/28/19) - Romantic Suspense - 5 stars.  Neither new to me nor underappreciated.  Picked this up at the thrift store last week for 50c.
Review: "I thought I'd read this one years ago, but I didn't remember any of it reading it this time. This is the kind of Phyllis Whitney novel that made me a fan of hers."

DNFs:

3/1/19 -  I started a romantic suspense that I snagged on a whim.  It was well-written and the story itself held my interest.  Unfortunately, by like 10%, I didn't like the MC.  Can't really get past that unless there's a glimmer of some redeeming qualities there somewhere.  Didn't see any. 

2/24/19 - Tried reading the MG urban fantasy again.  I guess the previous DNF of this was telling me something.  It wasn't just that I wasn't in the mood.  The dialogue was wooden and the plot seemed formulaic.  :shrug:

2/23/19 - I DNF'd the zombie book.  I got to a point where I determined there was no way I could give it more than 3 stars.  It was exciting.  It could've been so much better than it was.  But there were too many flaws - editing flaws, proofreading flaws, things left hanging- and then it got all weird on me.  I hung on longer than I would've because I really did want to see what would happen, but eventually, while trying to sleep last Saturday, I realized I was just spinning my wheels.  I have too many books to read to waste time like that.  =o(


Currently Reading: 
I started what the author is calling an 'urban fantasy mystery'.  So far, so good.

What have you been reading lately?

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the DNFs. I had one of those this week. I normally just quietly remove them from my reading list on GR but I wanted to remember this one. It was that bad. I...it...just no. It was allegedly an MC/biker romance but the draw was that it was set in and around where I went to college. The author had no clue about the town and her one comment about the college didn't even get the historical facts right. The LEO portions of the book were so wrong that anyone who watched at least one episode of COPS would know more. New to me author, won't check out any of her other books, can't believe she had 14 mostly 5 star reviews. She must have lots of friends.

    I also finished off the sexy Honey Club series by Kristen Ashley. Damn. That woman can pull me into a story. Way sexy and deep into the kink but her characters and the emotions? Off the charts.

    The fantasy from the library finally dropped. UPROOTED by Naomi Novik. This book has gotten a lot of press. I gave it 4 stars. Really enjoyed the world building though it was slowly paced. I'm glad I read it but also glad I got it from the library. I might give other books by this author a try eventually.

    When I finished it, I defaulted to my yearly reread of NAKED IN DEATH in preparation for finally getting around to the newest JD Robb, CONNECTIONS IN DEATH. In the middle of it, another book caught my eye--one from the library, so I grabbed MESS ME UP by Lani Lynn Vale. I did a massive binge read of a couple of her series. This one is the first book in a new series, the Bear Bottom MC. He's a former NFL player, now MC member and prison guard. She cleans houses. His son has cancer and...I was teary-eyed by about 20 minutes into the thing. Totally tugged the heart strings, but one has to enjoy these types of books. FYI, her MCs are NOT 1%ers. Most of them are cops, firefighters, etc.

    Before I could get back to NID, another library hold hit, MOONLIGHT SCANDALS, by Jennifer L. Armentrout. This is the 3rd book in her De Vincent series--cursed family living on cursed plantation in Louisiana. I'm about 5% into the book and alreaydy wishing I'd re-listened to the first two books to remind me of the characters. Since there's still a waiting list, I may have to go back to the first two after I finish this one.

    And that's my reading for the week. :)

    ReplyDelete