Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sunday Update - Week 27

Hey, wow, I actually got the week # on this post!  Yay.  So I guess that means I'm out of my lazy streak.  Kinda.  Sorta.  I'm a lazy gal at heart, so the streak is always stalking me below the surface, but this was a good week.

I got back to work on getting Bloodflow whipped into shape.  (Even if MS Word doesn't like me typing the title as one word.  Party pooper.)  Rewrote the first chapter by hand and then typed it into the computer.  Then I got through the first scene of chapter two with just some simple rewrites and more typing.  When I got to the second scene, though, things stopped.  And I think I realized why that scene has been driving me nuts for the past few years.  (Yes, years.)  It was from the wrong POV.  So I wrote a new scene from a different character's viewpoint, and I think I nailed it.  Now I can proceed.  Yay!

Anyway, I'm up to 3200 words retyped.

Hubs and I got a wild hair last Sunday and decided to finish digging out the foundation.  We thought we'd take it slow, get a little done at a time... Yeah, that doesn't ever work for us.  We put our heads down and dug like freaks.  Got the north trench off the addition mostly done Sunday.  Fell apart Monday.  Did some other stuff Tuesday.  Dug like dogs after a mole and got the south side mostly done Wednesday.  Then Thursday was just finish work making sure the trenches were all the way down to the cement lip at the bottom of the cinder blocks.  Friday got it dry.  Yesterday, Hubs painted the first coat of Drylok on the walls.  And I drove down to buy more Drylok because he only had enough for one coat.  We also decided to get enough to coat all the remaining exposed block so it all looks uniform and we can finally cover where the silly gits slapped orange paint on those, too.

Also, last week our utility sink arrived for the garage bathroom.  I'm so glad he ripped out the ugly thing they had going on it there.  Yuck.  He finished running the plumbing out there and installed the new sink.  Yesterday, he got to wash out his paint brushes without stooping over in the bathtub or getting paint in the kitchen sink. 

We made appointments for the electric dude to come back out and for the local boys ranch to come haul off our pile of junk.  The electric dude will be installing lights and plugs in the two crawl spaces sometime this week.  The boys will be out Tuesday and we'll finally be able to get rid of all that stuff the previous owners so joyfully chucked into the woods, as well as all the detritus from our remodel.

Yesterday, while Hubs was slapping Drylok on the foundation, I took to the yard and sprayed the holy hell out of the remaining poison ivy.  Then I grabbed the Weed-B-Gone and sprayed our lovely stone pathways so the weeds stop trying to take over.  Recently Kerry Schafer passed along a great recipe for weed killer - 1 gallon of vinegar, 2 cups of Epsom salts, and 1/4 cup DAWN dish soap (the original blue kind) - but I already had the other stuff.  I'll try that stuff next time.

So, it's been busy-busy-busy here.  Like I said it would be weeks ago, but we all know how that worked out.  On the upside, we were talking and we should be done with this years major projects way ahead of schedule.  Then we're going fishing.

What happened in your world this past week?  Can you believe we're already halfway through the year?  



6 comments:

  1. June 25th was Leon Day. I don't even want to think about it! I finished the current WIP and sent it off to two beta readers. I'm reading Nalini Singh's Psy-Changling series for the first time. It's awesome and I've realized it's something like my Moonstruck series--an overriding plot arc with individual stories and couples, but with significant contribution by other characters who had or will get their own story. It's good stuff. Part SciFi/alternate history-future and part paranormal thriller. Just my kind of reading crack. I will be sad when I read them all and will have to fret until the next one comes out. (I'm currently reading them at the rate of about one a day. Yay for the digital shelves of my library system!)

    Other than that...my life is pretty much consumed with the job--writing. :) Get finished so you can go fishin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of Leon Day, Silver, so I looked it up. Halfway to Christmas, eh? That explains why the Hallmark Channel was inundating us with holiday movies. Think about the 1st Christmas with Sprout. How awesome will that be?

      Yay for finishing your WIP, and yay for getting time to read. I haven't read Singh yet. She's on the long-term list.

      Heh, I've been trying to get him to go fishing for a year. As soon as the projects are done, he'll have to go. And I'll go with now and then. =o)

      Delete
  2. Yay for nailing that scene! And for all those repairs.

    I'm down with a cold, and running on half-steam. Hoping for better next week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! So sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather. Fingers crossed it passes quick for you. :hugs:

      Delete
  3. I had a birthday - 54 now. How times flies. Work was very busy, but like Silver I was able to get some reading done. I love the psy-changeling series and thoroughly enjoyed Shield of Winter, the latest offering. Just finished reading 4 books in the Art of Love series by Donna McDonald. Light easy reading and very enjoyable. Finished quilting my latest offering, just the binding to do now. That about covers it - not very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday, Fran! Yay for you getting some reading time, too. Sounds like you're reading some fun books. And good job on your quilt project! Hey, it's exciting stuff if it makes you happy. Lord knows my digging isn't the most exciting thing in the world to other people. LOL

      Delete