Thursday, October 1, 2009

Notable, if not New

If you weren't already aware, it's Banned Books Week. Or as Ray Bradbury said: "You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them."

Also, thanks to Jessica Faust, I've learned that it's National Adopt a Shelter Dog month. Go read her post on the subject. She says it so much better than I can this morning (even if I did comment). And remember, there are no bad dogs, just bad training.

It's also National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. If you're not doing your self exams, find a friend to do them for you. All joking aside, though, breast cancer isn't something you want to mess with. Get yourself checked out.

Aside from that, the Guide to Literaty Agents blog is running a contest. Their second annual Worst Storyline Ever Contest will be open to entries until 11:59pm on October 5th. It has some neat prizes, so get working on a truly terrible story idea.

Other notable, if not new, things this month (Courtesy of the Cultural Calendar) are:

National Mushroom Month*
National Cookie Month
National Caramel Month
German-American Heritage Month (as well as Polish-American Heritage Month - so they got most of my ancestry covered in October)
National Dessert Month

The list goes on... But I'll stop now. Any notable things you'd like the world to be aware of this month?

*I wonder what they mean by that. I used to be what I called The Executive Mushroom (you know... keep me in the dark and feed me sh*t). Do you think that counts?

No comments:

Post a Comment