Thursday, December 8, 2016

Thursday This n That

This year's Christmas presents for Hubs and I are joint presents - fishing gear.  We spent yesterday morning looking at stuff on Amazon and picking out what we figured would be a good mix of stuff to catch bass.  Should be fun this Spring.   

Right now, I'm reading Robinson Crusoe.  Or as I put it to Hubs last night, "I'm finally finishing Robinson Crusoe after 42 years."  This is the book I picked up when I was about 4 and started 'writing' it by copying the words down on a piece of paper.  So I read probably a paragraph worth back then... well, 'read' as much as a four year old can read anything.  I can't wait to see how it turns out.  ;o)

Back in October when I was reading up a storm, I adjusted my Goodreads goal to 90 books.  Then November hit and I read like one book.  I'm pretty behind now.  I've read 79 books.  I don't think I'll make it to 90, but I made a rule that I can adjust my goal up but never down.  Cuz that's cheating.  We'll see where I end up.

Yes, I believe that cheating on yourself is still cheating. 

Way back when, in another life when I was a younger me, I had a best friend.  We were thick as thieves, Mags and I.  Then life happened.  And we drifted apart.  Long story short, I haven't seen or spoken to her in like 27-28 years or something.  I started looking for her pretty much as soon as the internet was born.  Not every day or anything - I'm not a psycho - but like whenever the idea struck me.  I found her Facebook page last night.  I sent her a message and a friend request*.  Now, we'll see if she replies.  If so, cool.  If not, oh well.  At least I found her.  She's alive and she looks happy in the pics she's posted.  That's the most important thing I wanted to know. 

*Ever see that Sonic commercial where the two guys who star in those things are sitting in a car next to two guys who look similar to them, and they want to make friends, but the blond guy gets all weird?  Yeah, in retrospect, I think that's probably how my message reads.  Total loon.  :shrug: 

What's on your this n that today?

4 comments:

  1. Those guys irritate the snot out of me. LOL

    My Christmas present is pretty much to myself and I can deduct it as a business expense. My desktop was custom built for me in 2007. Technology has run rampant since then. When I was spending more time waiting for crap to load than I was writing, I knew the time had come. So, the new shiny/pretty is with old faithful at the computer geek's getting set up. Hopefully, I will have it back this afternoon. Then I need to learn windows 10. Whoopee.

    I have desk. And most of an office. LG says I should take a picture. LOLOL

    It's cold. I got the covers on the outside faucets yesterday. And I'm wearing my furry boots instead of flipflops.

    I'll admit I look for old boyfriends on FB. Three of them have died in the past couple of years and I admit to curiosity about their lives after we parted ways. I want them to be happy. I am, and as I look back, my life is exactly where it should be and where it wouldn't have been if I'd stayed with any of the other guys. Crazy how that works.

    And that's it. It's taken me a long time to type this. I want my desktop and big keyboard back! Yes, I will take a picture of my desk then. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, sorry they irritate you. They amuse me. Yay for your new 'puter! Oh, no about Windows 10. I'm having to support that crap for my mom. Kinda hard when I don't have it myself. Luckily there are tutorials and screen shots online that I can use. Hubs brought in the hose and winterized the house.

      I do that thing, too, sometimes. Only one of my ex-boyfriends has passed, that I know of, but he was way older than me and wasn't the healthiest person to begin with.

      Can't wait to see the picture!

      Delete
  2. I guess I cheated, because back in August or September, I KNEW I would never reach the 90 books I set at the beginning of the year. I needed a goal I could REACH, so I reduced it to 65. I've since passed that number (I'm at 68) and happy about that. I just won't make it so high in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only cheating if you do it at the end of the year. ;o)

      Delete